AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can't install Radeon R9 M265X

Question asked by olson on Aug 8, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 1, 2019 by ecoxis

A few days ago, my laptop started to freeze on a black screen during startup (on Windows 10 1809). Not everytime, but maybe 4 out of 5 times. It also happened when I turned off the computer. I also had bluescreens because of atikmdag.sys. After many attempts att fixing it, I reinstalled Windows 10 1903 (and emptied the hard drive during installation). During setup of a user account, the computer hanged, but rebooted without problem. Windows installed Intel graphics drivers, but not AMD drivers. In the Control Panel's Device Manager, there's only one Display adapter: Intel HD Graphics 4600, and under Other devices, there is a Video Controller, often with a yellow triangle on the icon. I guess this video controller is my Radeon R9 M265X. When I right-clicked on it and chose Update driver, the computer hanged. I downloaded Adrenalin 2019 19.7.5, but during installation, the computer hangs. I tried deleting the video controller from the device manager first, but that didn't help. The most recent driver on Toshiba's homepage is from 2015, for Windows 8.1, but every time I try to download it, the download fails just before completion. Whenever I try to install a driver and the computer hangs, it takes several reboots to get back to Windows. Sometimes Start-Up Repair helps, but using restore points seems to be the best way. A few minutes ago when writing a draft to this in Notepad I had a bluescreen: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (ahcache.sys).

In short:
I can't use my Radeon
Computer hangs when I try to install it

Is this a software or hardware error?
How do I know if there is a hardware error?

I have a Toshiba Satellite P50t-B-10W
Intel Core i7-4710HQ
16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD
AMD Radeon R9 M265X

Thank you for reading!

Outcomes