• Ben Q 4K
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • MSI Meg Creation X399 Bios Ver 1.2
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Threadripper 2950X
    • Seasonic SSR-1300PD PRIME 1300W
  • RAM
    • 64GB Corsair Vengence PRO 3200 MHZ RGB

So I was trying to get crossfire to work on these cards, and I eventually did, however I has some kind of weird issue with my CAD software that made that CAD software almost unusable. Every time I rotated the CAD model. it would hang for a couple of seconds. Since you tend to rotate things around a lot, this was just too much lag time. So I disabled Cross fire.

So I decided to try having one Vega connected to one 4k Monitor and the other connected to the other 4K monitor, hoping that this might give a slight increase in performance. As one Vega would be specifically dedicated to one 4k Monitor. Just to be clear, I have one display port cable going from on vega to one monitor. Then I have another display port cable on the other vega directly to a second monitor.

I get some perplexing results. My CAD program opens on the primary (left) monitor. After it opens I open a large CAD assembly. This uses about 10gb of memory on GPU 1 and zero on GPU 0. Ok makes sense. When I rotate the CAD model, I get 98% utilization on gpu 1 and none on GPU 0. Still makes sense. If I move that window over to the second monitor and maximize it then rotat the CAD model.... I get 96% utilization on GPU 1 and 4% utilization on GPU 0. I would have expected the utilization to have gone up on the GPU 0. However I guess that since it loaded on the primary monitor and the CAD model is utilizing the memory from GPU 1 it cant utilize GPU 0 as much??? I guess in this scenario I should have certain applications load on specific monitors so that I can best utilize BOTH GPUs to their maximum?? It would be nice to be able to do some photogrammy rendering on on gpu while still do CAD work on the other.

0 Likes
0 Replies