Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

silentwolf
Journeyman III

Cool n Quiet feature not in BIOS

Hi,

I am new to PC building and had a few questions regarding my CPU, Ryzen 5 2600X. I noticed that it boosts to about 4.2 GHz on idle, which causes idle temps to be around 50 degrees Celsius. I did some research and found out that the Cool n' Quiet feature in the bios will prevent the cpu from boosting when in idle. However, my bios has no such setting (I have an Asus Strix B450-F motherboard). I downloaded the most recent chipset drivers as well and that option still is not in my bios. I enabled Global C-States control which apparently is another power saving option, but this causes my cpu to constantly jump between 2.2 GHz and 4.2. Do I need to download some sort of special driver to enable the Cool n' Quiet feature?

I also have another issue. I do not have the AMD Ryzen Power Plan listed under my power options, even though I download the most recent motherboard chipset driver. I am currently on the Windows Balanced Power plan.

Does anyone know what the issue could be or is Cool n' Quiet not supported by my motherboard? If you know a solution, a step by step guide would be helpful as this is my first PC build.

Thank you.

0 Replies