cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

vonbon
Journeyman III

Radeon VII - Can't enable 120hz

Hello, I'm trying to get my video card to run my screen at 120hz, and it is rated for it.
I've tried window settings up and down, would only allow 120hz at 720 rather than 1080.
I've tried the uninstall cleaner and reinstalled the Drivers.
I've re-tested the cable ( hooked it up to my laptop with a GTX, it outputted 120hz no problem)
I'm starting to worry that my video card is defective.
Does anyone have any suggestions or at least a guide on how to manually do it through the registry?

0 Likes
5 Replies
shinkojiro
Miniboss

2019.08.02-00.10.png

Go to this window and ensure the monitor is set to the correct refresh rate for the resolution.

0 Likes

I have not only tried this, but also gone into properties and checked both Resolution and Refresh Rate options, which was how I figured out I can do 720 resolutions at 120hz for my card but only 60hz for others.     And, yes, I have verified that the screen and cable can do 120hz at 1080p, I have plugged my laptop to it and it worked perfectly fine.  it is only my RADEON VII that for some reason cannot do this.

0 Likes
hive
Elite

Check if you have installed the Monitor driver, sometimes you need the monitor driver to properly tell Windows what the display is capable of.

Check the screen that shinkojiro show's in the previous post if make sure it shows the proper display name and type, instead of just generic pnp monitor

0 Likes

Ah, that I didn't think about.   But I'm not entirely sure where to go from here, it is indeed generic drivers.  I tried finding drivers for my monitor but search results have turned up to a deadend on their support page, nor why my laptop would have zero issues.    It really makes me think the difference is the AMD Drivers.
My main monitor busted a capacitor (I can't solder) So I've been trying to use my TV ( E700i-B3 Vizio ) till I find a proper monitor.

Looking into my video card driver version, i am at version : 26.20.11015.5009
My two displays are listed as :
Dell 2407WFP-HC (all fine here)And my Vizio as : Generic PnP Monitor ( Hardware ID : MONITOR\VIZ1006 )

0 Likes
amite
Adept II

That's kind of weird as of a month ++ ago my 7 would at pretty much anytime do 144 MHz on my MSI free sync - now all I ever see in games is 120 mhz

not for that reason but driver dumps - I am running Driver version 26.20.11015.5009  May 22 / 19  - pre 5700x - know what I mean - seems a bit more better - but I am wrong a whole lot. still only 120 MHz wtf

0 Likes