yue0707

RX 5700XT Unable to Monitor Sensors/Clock Speeds

Discussion created by yue0707 on Jul 31, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 1, 2019 by yue0707

Alright, so after two cards later and 4 reinstalls of Windows i'm still having this issue (Ubuntu drivers work fine so i'm going over there for now until this is fixed). 

Basically what happens is the monitoring will randomly fail if you're tinkering with Wattman settings or at anytime really. For me I was only adjusting fan speeds and enabling Auto-Undervolt. It'll essentially look empty like this (see attached pictures).. This is a big big problem because when this happens, no only will the overclocking software not be able to read these, the DRIVER wont either. Oddly it'll still boost clock speeds based on demands, but your fan WILL NOT spin up and this card will cook itself till a restart or BSOD. Not good, because it cannot read the GPU temperature sensors either.  

The only way to fix this I've found is to Reinstall Windows, where it'll just happen again. I've seen another post with a person having this exact problem, it needs to be fixed. This is seriously annoying as hell, this is a critical priority 1 bug and may explain why people keep crashing their cards because this breaks without even touching wattman (usually in-game), etc and the card cant control its cooling/monitoring. 

DDU (safe mode) will not work, something gets corrupted in Windows. I've seen BSOD's for VIDEO TDR FAILURE also, they seem to happen at random, usually while the GPU has load and i'm guessing its because it isn't being cooled properly because the sensors are not working on the driver. It's already done this for the 4th time reinstalling Windows, so i'm moving to Ubuntu where it doesn't have any issues (already tried it, it works). 

I really love you AMD, but this is souring my taste of buying cards from you in the future. I feel like these are Alpha drivers i'm working with right here. Seems to me like this card was rushed out the door. 

• AMD Graphics Card
    • ASUS AMD 5700XT
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit (1903, latest updates)
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline Edition 19.7.4
  • Display Devices
    • AOC Q3279VWFD8, HDMI, 2560x1440@75hz
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite v1, BIOS: F4g
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 3700X
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • PowerSpec 650W PSU PS650BSM
  • RAM
    • Gskill F4-3000C16D-16GISB 16GB (8x8) @ 3000MHz

Also the computer seems to get a bit choppy whenever you're querying data about monitoring or clocks etc (in GPU-Z, Wattman, Afterburner).. Close it and choppiness goes away.  

Attachments

Outcomes