cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bmoney
Journeyman III

2700x overheating at stock speeds

My 2700x system is idling between 50-60C and the fan is going at 2600 RPM as soon as I turn on the machine. It also immediately climbs to 70-80C when under any kind of significant load, and then crashes as soon as it gets over 85C (black screen, no BSOD, etc.) It crashes in any kind of moderately intense game such as Planet Coaster, and it also dies immediately when I try to run Cinebench 15 on it. It won't thermal throttle - it just blacks out and requires a hard reset.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 2700x (running at stock speed) and a stock cooler

MB: MSI B450m Bazooka V2

GPU: GTX 1660 6GB

RAM: 16 GB at 2666 (unknown brand)

WD Black NVMe 500GB (main boot drive)

WD Green 240 GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

Thermaltake Smart 600W Powersupply

It's a pre-build from CyberPower PC, but I'm not hearing back from them and thought this community might be able to help give me some ideas on where to start. I'd think it was the PSU, but the processor spikes so quickly to 80C under moderate load that it makes me think the heat sink isn't set right or that the processor itself may be faulty. Any ideas are very appreciated. Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Reply
bmoney
Journeyman III

Went through a lot of trial and error last night trying to pinpoint the issue, including swapping RAM slots, removing one stick and only using 8GB in different slots, etc. Finally, went into the BIOS and noticed that "Game Mode" was Enabled. I disabled "Game Mode" and the issue completely went away. Ran multiple Cinebench runs back-to-back and though the processor hit 87C at one point, it stabilized at 85C and didn't shut down the system. 

Verified this result by turning "Game Mode" back on, and sure enough, the system crashed immediately when under load. Turned it back off and things run great. Definitely an issue with the BIOS and MB causing the overheating with "Game Mode" enabled. 

0 Likes