Alright this is getting really old. For at least the last 3 months I have been getting display driver hang ups that cause a black screen.
What it looks like:
Screen goes black on viewsonic monitor mid game for a short duration. Opening task manager will sometimes bring the screen back to windows. Game continues various amounts of time based on game before happening again.
My full set up:
PSU: CORSAIR RM1000I 80PLUS GOLD 1000W FULLY MODULAR
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming AM4 ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, Realtek LAN, 2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz [4.3GHz Turbo] Eight-Core 20MB Cache 105W Processor
GPU: Radeon VII 16GB HBM2
Case Fans: 3X 120mm Enermax T.B RGB Twister Bearing PWM Case Fans 500-1500 RPM w/ Remote Controller
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate(3 x Standard 120MM Fans)
Hybrid SSD: 3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
SSD: (OS and frequently played games installed here 150gb+ Free): 512GB ADATA XPG AGAMMIXS11P-512GT-C PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3500/2300 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 390/380k
RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory Corsair Vengeance
PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition) Build 17763
Radeon Driver: 19.7.3
Display: VX3258-2KC-MHD (Viewsonic 32” curved 144hz 1440p 5ms response time)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard: CORSAIR STRAFE
Overclocking: Issue happens regardless of overclocking, undervolting or and mobo performance mode in performance default or energy saving. .
Things I’ve Isolated (Tried Individually) so far that had little to no impact on behavior:
- Resetting all radeon and bios settings to default including DOCP. Meaning all stock settings every where.
- Turning on undervolting at both auto and a few manual settings.
- Switching my display port 1.4 cable for a HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2) cable.
- Updating drivers.
- Rolling back drivers.
- Uninstalling and clean installing using DDU both in safe mode and out after.
- Turning free sync on both radeon settings and viewsonic settings and turning free sync off.
- Setting in game frame rate cap.
- Turning on HBCC memory segment
- Updating Bios
Games ( Max Settings at 1440p but i did try lowering frame rate and quality with no impact) this happens on and frequency:
- Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition: Frequently
- Mordhau: Frequently (causes game to crash when happens)
- League Of Legends: Moderate to Infrequently
- Metro Exodus: Moderate to Infrequently
- Total War Three Kingdoms: Frequently
Workarounds I have found:
- Uninstalling all radeon drivers and settings, then installing radeon drivers without radeon settings. Lasted until I reinstalled radeon settings with the latest update.
- After it happens going into task manager to kill radeon settings lasts until reboot.
Windows event viewer shows this error that always corresponds with the behavior (confirmed 4 times)
“Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”
Thoughts? Anyone else getting this?
Also I know its not the monitor because these games run flawlessly using this monitor on my old build (GF is using it now) Ryzen 2007X and Vega 56 with MSI x470 plus or pro dont remember.