AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD 3800x Audio Crackling/popping + Stuttering during Remote Play

Question asked by alcapwn on Jul 27, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 4, 2019 by alcapwn

Specs:

•  AMD Ryzen 3800x
  • GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA (F4i BIOS w/ AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABB)
  • EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black
  • 16GB DDR4 3600 (F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX)
  • 512GB + 1TB XPG SX8200 Pro
  • Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W
  • Avid MBox 3 (USB Audio Interface)
  • Windows 10 x64 1903 (18362.267)
  • AMD Chipset drivers v1.07.29.0115

I've been running into a stuttering/popping issue with my new AMD 3800x system. The audio device I'm using is an Avid MBox 3. It thankfully doesn't happen when playing games, but when playing music or at desktop, such as when a UAC confirmation window pops up, there is more often than not a terrible crackling/popping sound along with it. This didn't happen on my very old i5-2500k system so even though Avid drivers are not generally regarded as the best, I don't think they are to blame in this instance. I don't have any traditional PC style speakers to test the onboard audio and only 1/4" headphones (I'll try to borrow some 1/8" headphones from a friend when I can). Changing the power plan to Ryzen High Performance, or even the regular High Performance profile had no effect. Disabling SMT has not fixed this issue for me sadly. I made a post on the Avid forums but I have a feeling nothing will be done even if it somehow is on their end as all their USB/Firewire Audio Interfaces are EOL after 2019.

The other problem is that there is a large amount of stuttering + audio crackling/popping when trying to play a game remotely, via nvidia gamestream. This issue definitely cannot be related to the MBox as it's not even plugged in when playing remotely (it uses some form of passthrough via the nvidia drivers).

Update: Disabling SMT did not fix the issue as I originally thought, I have no idea why that one bootup it worked flawlessly but I have yet to get it to work normally since. Something else I noticed is that if SMT is disabled, windows performance monitor no longer correctly displays the clock speed and it shows just the base speed (in my case 3.89)

Update2: It seems it doesn't matter what game I run, it still stutters/crackles with remote play, I guess it just randomly was working fine when I tested Division 2 and BFV, as I tried them again and they're both doing it.

Attachments

Outcomes