My Ryzen5 2600x reaches 90c and fails at stability tests

Question asked by momo12320 on Jul 22, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 23, 2019 by rockedout

So I bought a new pc. These are the specs:

Ryzen 5 2600x 

Msi B450 Tomahawk

Team group Vulcan 3200mhz cl16 8x2 Gb ram

Rtx 2060 

The case is a cooler master cmp505 which comes with a PSU. ( The case has 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan)

When I first got the pc I had some trouble running the ram at its rated speed but after some tweaking I got it running at 3200mhz.

Note: I am using the stock cooler.

The cpu runs at 4.2 Ghz at stock settings and uses >1.42 volts. When I tried Aida64 the cpu reaches 90c after ~8 mins and the test stops. When I try OCCT the test stops after 2 mins when the cpu reaches 90c and says overheat. I opened the bios and disabled core boost and precision boost override and the cpu now runs at 3.6 ghz and 1.2 volts but passes all of the stability tests. I tried changing the voltage to 1.3 volts in the bios and manually ocing to 4.0 and 3.8 ghz but they both failed the stability tests after 2 mins when they reached 90c any idea what might be wrong? I suspect that this is a cooling issue. I even set the cooler fan to run at max speed to no avail.

Note: I tried tightening the cooler screws again and it runs like 2 degrees cooler ( from 45c to 43c) now I think but I'm not pretty sure.

Outcomes