colinc22

5700 XT- Driver 19.7.2 Crashes on Install

Discussion created by colinc22 on Jul 20, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 10, 2019 by t0g

The latest drivers for the RX 5700 XT crashes on a fresh install of windows each time.

It will crash halfway through the install phase, then the monitor goes black and the computer shuts down completely.

Restarting the PC will get it stuck in the blue windows boot screen. After a few times of restarting I can get into automatic recovery mode and start in safe mode to uninstall the drivers. Once the drivers are uninstalled a normal boot of windows works fine.

Setup:

CPU: Ryzen 2600

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

MOBO: Asus - ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4

Windows: 1903

NOTE: I've tried installing the drivers on my old old rig running my i7 2700k and I could install drivers on that just fine.

Its this new rig that just fails when I try to install despite all the parts being new.

UPDATE: I Somehow managed to hack a bugged fix. I've tried reinstalling the drivers multiple times (10 attempts or so), each time it will crash the pc. However I think I got lucky, as I restarted the pc it could boot into windows just fine. On further inspection it seems the drivers weren't installed properly as I can't access radeon settings but windows does detect the rx 5700 xt and I can game just fine. If I try to reinstall the drivers from this point onward my system will once again crash and be stuck on the boot load screen. I'm gonna leave it at this messed up state until AMD fixes their drivers

Outcomes