cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

conraire
Adept III

Ryzen 7 3800X, Boosting to above 4.5Ghz, and High Voltages, with PBO/Auto OC Disabled

Hello,

Tuesday I upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 7 1700x, to a Ryzen 7 3800X.  The behavior I'm seeing is rather interesting.  I've double checked the bios/UEFI to ensure that PBO and Auto OC are both disabled.  What I'm seeing with hwinfo64, is that the cpu under light load will boost up to 4550Mhz, while only being rated for 4.5Ghz max boost.  I get the impression if I had an even better cooler it'd go higher on its own.  Other concerns are that the voltage peaks at 1.5v.  Is this normal behavior, or something I should be worried about?  Tctl/Tdie temps stay at safe levels under 80c, even under full load. 

System Specs:

Ryzen 7 3800X

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming(Most recent bios, Agesa Combo 1.0.0.1)

16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200 Cas14 (currently running at 3000 due to motherboard instability at 3200)

Corsair H100i V2 AiO

Corsair Carbide 600C Case

Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury

1x NVMe SSD

1x SATA III SSD

1x SATA III SSHD

Seasonic 850X Series gold cert 850W PSU

pastedImage_1.jpg

pastedImage_2.jpg

pastedImage_3.jpg

0 Likes
10 Replies
conraire
Adept III

I seem to have got the voltage readings in Ryzen Master to come down to what appear to be normal levels.  Had to change a couple settings in the motherboard bios, and now auto voltage control is working properly. The only problem is, now the CPU doesn't use precision boost to go past the base clock.

I have also been having stability issue since earlier today, after a short power brown out in the area. 

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

I think your vcore/cpu voltage should be 1.35v

0 Likes

Yeah, thats correct.  I found and read the reddit post by Robert Hallock from AMD.  Apparently the 1.5v peak behavior is normal for short periods while the cpu is boosting, it does drop to 1.35-1.36v under full load according to Ryzen Master. 

I managed to fix my stability issues for now, had to adjust load line calibration level in the bios.  So now my cpu is boosting almost properly again.  Though I'm not scoring quite as high in benchmarks due to the tighter voltage control.  I suppose I'll be ok until I can order an X570 board after I get paid again, then I should be able to run full bore again. 

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

You care to post your bios settings?

I'm running the same board with a 3800x and mine isnt boosting correctly while set to auto..

I'm only getting boost clocks of 4.375ghz at default...     

I can overclock mine to a 4.4ghz all core running 1.3925vcore/ 1.15v soc  load line cal. Level3... 

I'd rather have mine running a boost like yours to the 4.5ghz that its suppose to boost too....

I'm running a beta bios 5.61 I got off a denmark website a guy suggested on Asrocks forum..

Also what memory are you running? I have always had fits with memory compatibility with this board.

0 Likes

I'm running 5.61 beta bios as well.

Everything is on auto, except overclocking is set to manual, with its default 100mhz setting.  CPU Load Line calibration set to level 3, had to do that to get it stable after the power outage happened.  Memory is set to XMP Profile 3200Mhz Cas 14-14-14-34.  Though it's possible the memory stability is part of the load line problem.  This board like you said has always had issues with memory support.

Everything else is pretty much set to bios default. 

It's still boosting past 4.5Ghz, though not as often.  And under load it's all core boost is down to 4.175Ghz average instead of 4.2Ghz, guessing thats due to the tighter load line calibration. 

I'm hoping the power outage only messed with the motherboard VRM, and didn't damage my CPU.  I want to see if I can get it to run full bore again when I get an X570 board here in a couple weeks. 

0 Likes

I may be wrong but to my understanding Asrock boards load line calibration is backwards from other board manufacturers..   Like load line 2 would hold tighter voltage than load line 3, load line 3 allowing more voltage spike.

I just ordered some Patriot Viper4 3400mhz memory to try.. 3400 16-18-18-36...  I have been running 3000mhz 16-16-16-36 and its never ran good in my board, always had stability issues with it.. I've even tried the flare-x cl14 stuff and it wouldnt boot..

I think you're right on the load line calibration.  Originally though before the power outage thing, I was running stable on vcore load line auto/ level 5.  After that, I had to change it to level 3 to be stable. 

0 Likes

Did you clear your cmos?  I've noticed when overclocking mine, if I have to go back into the bios and change things it's not changing them..

I enabled pbo, booted and ran some cinebench runs, then rebooted and disabled pbo then booted back into windows and it didnt change... I had to reset cmos and reload new settings for them to take..

0 Likes

To be honest, after I finally got it running stable, I haven't messed with the bios.  I've left PBO and XFR off, as according to AMD those run the CPU out of spec.  Though I think I have read on the ASRock forums people having similar issues with settings sticking like that.

0 Likes

Hello, how are you ? I have the same error that you are having with ram memories, my ryzen 3800x, motherboard asus tuff gaming x570, when I activate the xmp to 3000mhz the processor has instabilities is oxidizing the board anergy, already changed the board, memory and always the same error, I put another Ryzen 3800x on another card equal and presented the same error, when I lower the memory to 2133 mhz the error is resolved, memory corsair ram 1x16gb 3000mhz. If anyone can help me please, I would like to run my set up which is the best performance. I'm sorry for my bad english.

0 Likes