Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tof
Adept I

R5 3600 Idle Frequency

Hi,

I bought a r53600 last week, and since the CPU has been idleing at 1700~2200Mhz. I'm used to Intel where the CPU goes all the way down to 800Mhz to keep the CPU cool, so I was wondering if it was normal. as the CPU idles at ~40c with a Frozr L and the ambient temp here is pretty hot. Something like ~30c.  

I tried to find a Cool'n'Quiet option in the bios of my CrossHair VII, apparently it's the AMD's version of speedstep, but I couldn't find it.

0 Likes
7 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

tof, please read the first several post below yours.  Lots of people are reporting temperature problems when there are none.  Hope this helps.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
tof
Adept I

I'm asking about the high ilde Frequency.

0 Likes

tof, in a lot of cases that is what is causing the high temperatures.  My answers to that are there also.  Please see references to the Balanced Power Plan and make appropriate changes.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

If I am asking here it is to know why the idle frequency needs to be so high, and I would like an answer from somebody who knows why. Not from somebody who try to hijack the topic to the high idle temperature, which are too high because of crazy high default/stock voltages, regardless of what AMD rep said on reddit to try to reassure everyone.  So, please, would you be so kind to stop replying to my question to redirect me to the problem of high temperatures in idle this CPU has, or even at all for that matter. 

jaxx
Journeyman III

Download the Ryzen Master software and monitor your cpu to see if results match what you're describing. My 3600X has most cores sleeping(zero Mhz) and waking at ~200Mhz to report temps(I'm guessing that's what they're doing) at idle, but still I found this post because I'm less than impressed with thermal performance with idles and was wondering if it's just how the cpu performs or if I messed up seating my Hyper 212 Evo(38-60c idle with a push pull fan config.) I get ~77c max temps at full gaming load 4.350Mhz with around 27c ambient room temps. 

I can however drop temps quite dramatically by switching to the Ryzen power saving plan in windows settings causing my cpu to hover around the 36-38c range at idle. (I still feel this is a bit much for ~27c ambient and/or 23c late at night)

0 Likes

Yeah, I checked RM, but I had a hard time trusting the app when it showed that cores were sitting at 300Mhz peak on all core with an idle temp of 40c.

I also changed the powerplan to Ryzen powersaving to limit the temperature when I'm browsing internet,  heck the cpu averaged at around 60c just browsing reddit/youtube/online news with the ryzen balanced.  With Ryzen powersaving it stays at around 40c.

0 Likes

tof, I see you are angry and AMD should know about that.  This is a user forum.  I am a user, do not work for or represent AMD at all.  Most posters who offer help here also do not work for AMD.  Please open a Support Ticket.

I would like to see an RM screenshot (thanks jaxx).  Please post one - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  I, too, think the Peak Frequency is not useful.  Please tell AMD that.  Unless limited by the Power Plan, Ryzen will run fast to get the job done.  MS is the culprit causing high idle temperatures.  Who makes your MB, if ASUS, please talk to them.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes