AnsweredAssumed Answered

GPU Scaling "Preserve aspect ratio" not working in games

Question asked by shinkenshi on Jul 14, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 15, 2019 by shinkenshi

GPU: AMD Radeon RX480 4GB

CPU: i7 4770k

GPU Drivers: Radeon Software Version 19.6.2

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 v1803

Description of Original Problem: I just recently upgraded from my 29" ultrawide to a 4k tv. I am trying to play some games in ultrawide resolution on the new 4k tv but man it is almost impossible to get it working.

Troubleshooting: The problem I am having is that "Preserve aspect ratio" only works in the desktop. When I launch a game using an ultrawide resolution, it is stretching the screen as if I picked Full Panel. The only way I have been able to get around this so far is by picking centered (which is working properly) and using 3840/1600 resolution. There are scenarios where I will be unable to drive such a high resolution however and want to dip down to 3440/1440 or 2560/1080.

Some additional troubleshooting I did, just to see if it is specific to the TV. I switched back to the ultrawide monitor and launched a game at 1920x1080 with GPU scaling enabled and preserve aspect ratio. It also stretched the game to full screen, so this appears to be monitor independent.

Has anyone else run into similar issues that has a fix? Only thread I've seen that's actually posted a solution is https://community.amd.com/thread/235771 , and the fix did not help fix my scaling issue.

Outcomes