AnsweredAssumed Answered

New PC build for Avid Media Composer?

Question asked by gigadanny on Jun 30, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 6, 2019 by hardcoregames™

I am looking to build a new video editing PC for use at my production company. My two goals for it are to playback 4K, 10 bit, 4:2:2 video files, and to support Avid Media Composer 2019. I know that AMD is an official partner with Avid in terms of video cards, but I'm a little hesitant when it comes to AMD processors... so I have two questions/concerns:

1. AMD lists their Radeon Pro workstation graphics cards as officially certified by Avid for use with Media Composer. Although the card I am researching, the WX 7100 was released three years ago in July 2016. I am wondering if there is a newer AMD card (in an effect to future-proof), possibly the newly announced RX series, that may pair better with Media Composer.
  2. On the Avid site, they only claim to support their software when installed on systems running on Intel processors. I wonder why they prefer AMD graphics cards, but not paired with an AMD processor. Wouldn't it be better to pair an AMD graphics card (WX 7100) with a new Ryzen 3000 series processor (perhaps the 3900X)? Even if Avid does not officially list it as supported?

Hopefully someone who has recently built a PC for video editing can advise--thank you in advance!

Outcomes