cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

megabladezx25
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2400g Heat Sink Doesn't Fit

Hello all. I have just upgraded to a Ryzen 5 2400g CPU. The CPU installed fine, but the cooler that came with it does not fit into my motherboard. The screws in the heat sink form a rectangular pattern, but the threads on my motherboard form a square pattern. I have an AM4 Socket B350, but I don't know why it does not fit. Currently, I am using an OEM motherboard because I cannot upgrade at the moment and none of my other motherboards are available. Here is the closest link I could find for my motherboard.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05939208

The spaces for the screws form a square pattern around the socket, but the cooler has screws in a rectangular pattern around the heat sink. What can I do regarding my cooler? Right now, I am using my old cooler, thermal paste removed and freshly applied, but I would like to switch to the other one if possible.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g

GPU: RX Vega 11

RAM: 1x8GB DDR4-3200 / 1x4GB DDR4-3200

Motherboard: HP OEM AM4 B350

1 Solution

According to CPU-Z, the HP Model is 8433 which is the correct MoBo you have linked.

Found this HP Thread asking the same question as you about installing the Wraith on a Squared hole MoBo: CPU Cooler Upgrade - HP Support Community - 7017783 

According to this other HP Thread, HP OEM MoBO AM4 seems to use Intel 1151 CPU Cooler brackets: omen cpu fan upgrade problems - HP Support Community - 6715157 

The OP HP Motherboard is model 8309 which seems to have the same CPU square holes as your Motherboard: HP Desktop PCs - motherboard specifications, Higos | HP® Customer Support 

You need to contact HP Support and see if they can send you the correct brackets to allow you to install the Ryzen CPU Cooler on an Intel type Mobo.

The Motherboard must have come inside a HP Computer. What Computer Model to you have?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

According to CPU-Z, the HP Model is 8433 which is the correct MoBo you have linked.

Found this HP Thread asking the same question as you about installing the Wraith on a Squared hole MoBo: CPU Cooler Upgrade - HP Support Community - 7017783 

According to this other HP Thread, HP OEM MoBO AM4 seems to use Intel 1151 CPU Cooler brackets: omen cpu fan upgrade problems - HP Support Community - 6715157 

The OP HP Motherboard is model 8309 which seems to have the same CPU square holes as your Motherboard: HP Desktop PCs - motherboard specifications, Higos | HP® Customer Support 

You need to contact HP Support and see if they can send you the correct brackets to allow you to install the Ryzen CPU Cooler on an Intel type Mobo.

The Motherboard must have come inside a HP Computer. What Computer Model to you have?

My model is a HP 590-p0024.

Thank you for helping me out with this. I understand now that I need brackets in order to fit other coolers in. I will contact HP about getting me some of the correct brackets. All of the other motherboards I used came with brackets, so I will just have to get them for this one. You've helped me very much.

0 Likes

Just surprised that HP would make an AM4 Motherboard that actually wouldn't fit a Ryzen CPU Cooler instead would fit a Intel type CPU Cooler.

Hopefully they will send you instructions on how to fit a Ryzen Wraith CPU Cooler to your motherboard once they send you the correct brackets.

0 Likes

Hopefully they will.

0 Likes