cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

lokeshyadav
Adept I

I am using AMD FX8320 on GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P with SAPPHIRE R7 370. Now I want to add another GPU. So, can I add another GPU & which one? Also how?

CPU : AMD FX8320

Motherboard : GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P

GPU : SAPPHIRE R7 370

RAM : 16GB CORSAIR DDR3 1600

SMPS : Cooler Master B500W

0 Likes
8 Replies

You have 3 problems:

1) Power supply. It's too small for multiple GPUs.

2) Graphics card intercompatibility. The 300 series has been discontinued for some time, and using different generations of cards in the same system is not recommended.

3) Slow second PCIe slot. Your second PCIe slot only operates at 2.0 x4, which is too slow for any graphics card of any real power in 2019.

This is in addition to your slow CPU and the fact your existing GPU doesn't really have a lot of power. Your best option would be a single RX 580, as it is well over twice as fast as the R7 370.

I don't want to change the GPU as of now and I want to build a PC where I can run 2 GPU, one is R7 370 Nitro & one more, as I have spent quite the amount of money on it. So what should be the best configuration.
I will change upgrade the Power Supply. Should I change the Motherboard & keep using the same processor, or should I change both?

Please advise.

0 Likes

I'll advise you again to NOT use a second GPU because of the reasons I've listed above. Socket AM3 has been discontinued for some time as well, and current Socket AM4 processors are well over twice as fast. You seriously need to think about either sticking with what you have now until you can do an entire system update, or just using a single more modern GPU, such as the RX 580, which will give you more power than any Crossfire setup with your current R7 370.

Thanks again.

I will Upgrade my PSU & GPU.

If you don't mind, I have 2 more questions.

1. In future, Can RX 580 be used in Crossfire setup?

2. Which Processor & Motherboard will be best suited?

0 Likes

The X570 motherboards will support dual Radeon cards but one card now can handle 3840x2160 so that is not as much needed anymore

The RX 580 does support dual cards

0 Likes

As I posted in my first reply, your motherboard's second PCIe slot is only capable of PCIe 2.0 x4, which is too slow. You seriously need to abandon your quest for Crossfire, as Crossfire, applying to DirectX 11 and below, is dead, with DirectX 12 and Vulkan using their own multiple GPU capabilities in the API, which are not always used by the game developers. This, combined with the fact that single card 60fps at 1920x1080 gaming is possible sub $400, means multiple GPU gaming is near death.

But if you STILL want to use multiple GPUs, then you are going to need a much better motherboard, AMD X470 or X570 or Intel equivalent, as well as a much faster processor, Ryzen 2700X or faster.

0 Likes

You may want to consider a better PSU which would afford more options down the road. Both AMD and nVidia sell high power video cards which would crush your 500W PSU in seconds.

I use a Corsair AX860i and it has enough capacity to cope with extreme cards. Sure my PSU is expensive but that what it costs to have the safety of high-end power. All of the components depend on the PSU.

Sure, I will upgrade the PSU.

0 Likes