Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gammw
Journeyman III

Vega 56 shutting down under high load

Hi,

I recently changed the blower for an Aio watercooling (Alphacool Eiswolf GPX-A VEGA PRO M01) on my Vega 56 (MSI 8Go Blower). But now the card still works "great" but whenever it is under high load like in AC:Odyssey or in a benchmark the card just power off , no tachometer led , no display but computer still running and sound too. I first thought about overheating but no, the card stay under 50°C. 

What do you guys think it could be ? 

Thanks for the help, 

GammW

Config : 
Intel i7-3930k no-oc with Corsair Aio with push/pull configuration
AMD Rx Vega 56 with Alphacool Eiswolf Aio watercooling 2*120mm Fan
Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard
750W Seasonic X-750 PSU
16 Go DDR3
1To + 128Go SSD
1To SSHD 

0 Likes
7 Replies
andrei93
Adept II

I have a similar issue on my Vega 64 liquid. After a while my screen will turn black while gaming, I'll hear that Windows "ding" sound as if something was unplugged and then plugged back in and my screen might or might not come back on. If it does, it's usually stuck on a certain shade of colour (either everything looks purple or green) and I'll have to reboot. After a reboot Windows will tell me that Radeon Settings was reset to default settings. This only happens to me if I have an overclock applied and I use Radeon Overlay. If I don't touch overlay, everything will be fine all day.
I've had this issue with every driver I've had, on Windows 8.1 and now on Windows 10 ever since I bought my card back in August 2017. I think it's just a Vega thing, it hasn't been the most stable of GPUs I've had.

Thanks for sharing this, tbh I always tested with the overlay open so I can see the temp and the power usage, I will try this tonight when I get home after work 

0 Likes

Sounds like thermal shutdown, my GTX 750 throttled when hot but did not shut down. 

Radeon cards seem to shutdown probably due to digital coin mining abuses which favored a shutdown to save the card

0 Likes

Yeah it could be it but I'm not sure because I followed every step for the installation and successfully played Battlefield V for 30min in Ultra settings so i don't know, i will see if I can improve the cooling on the back of the card 

0 Likes

make sure you have at least one front intake fan and one rear/top exhaust fan to remove accumulated heat

0 Likes

Well thanks for your help, i got in touch with an alphacool guy who helped me a lot by mail, i changed the thermal paste on the gpu and that solved the problem but thanks gain for trying to help me

0 Likes

that is unusual for a video card thermal material to be defective

0 Likes