cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

brianstretch
Journeyman III

S7150x2 full-screen Horizon VDI video very choppy

My primary GPU-accelerated use case is playing YouTube videos full screen smoothly on 1080p PCoIP clients. That's not happening. Server is a Dell R730 with dual E5-2680v3's. ESXi 6.5, Horizon 7.7. Win10 1803 VMs running the June 2019 FirePro drivers. Am I expecting too much from the S7150x2 or can anyone suggest what I missed configuring? Tried with and without our Apex PCoIP accelerator card enabled. 

0 Likes
6 Replies

I am probably not the best to help with your use case. I am however sure that anyone who can answer will want to know if this is a new issue, or for instance used to work fine and now doesn't after a driver or system update. Or is this a new install and just not living up to expectations?  Thanks!

0 Likes
brianstretch
Journeyman III

I replaced a GRID K1 in vSGA mode with the S7150x2 in an existing Horizon environment and was hoping for much more of an improvement than I've seen. I'm wondering if any card that lacks H.264 hardware acceleration is going to be satisfactory for my use case? And if it did I'd have to use VMWare's Blast! protocol instead of PCoIP? In which case... ugh. Probably going to have to give up and go back to thick clients. VDI was always iffy for our small university anyhow. 

0 Likes
brianstretch
Journeyman III

fsadough‌ seems to be the person to ask? 

0 Likes

S7150 X2 has no H.264 support in VDI environment. 

0 Likes

Is the lack of H.264 support the reason that YouTube videos and such are so choppy or is something else wrong? 

0 Likes

Correct. It is the lack of video decode support in VDI environment causing the videos to be choppy

0 Likes