cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

atree
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon Settings - Fan Controls Different to Online Documentation

So I've recently been getting some driver crashes coming from my GPU (R9 380) when it's been getting too hot. Normal enough, GPU's aren't meant to run close to 100C. So I check for new drivers and get the latest version of the AMD Radeon Settings (Adrenaline (I think?)) to try and get some control over what speed the fan runs at and make sure the GPU doesn't get hung in some of its operations.

I should also note that with the previous installation, the "dynamic" fan control that was "automatically" configured by AMD Radeon Settings didn't adjust the fan speed at all, leaving the GPU trying to cool itself from 90C+ at 500RPM.

I'm in the 'new and improved' Radeon Settings and the window and interface and everything is basically all the same as before. In the Global WattMan I'm still limited to just being able to choose the minimum RPM for the fan, and it still has the issue where the fan only ever runs at half the speed that I set the "minimum" to. I have no graph next to the fan settings and don't even have a temp gauge for when I'm changing the "minimum".

For reference, I'm looking at this page on the AMD website, under Fan and Temperature, which I was directed to by clicking on the documentation button in the newly installed AMD Radeon Settings: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-020#faq-Radeon-WattMan-Overview

4 Replies

And there's this,

I have a 390 same wattman fan control as you, I do not enable wattman and let the card run off the vbios controllers.

That rpm slider is a fixed speed (bugged last time I checked).

Or install MSI-AB.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I assume I disable the WattMan from the AMD software? And if that's the case, will the vbios take control automatically or will I need to go into my bios and find it?

0 Likes

you don't disable Wattman you will either have limited features in Wattman or have Overdrive instead of Wattman depending on what card you have. Only cards from the last couple series support ALL CURRENT features.

0 Likes

I disable (reset factory defaults) wattman, no vbios adjustment needed.

Try it out, or use MSI-AB instead (wattman not enabled).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..