cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

adpii
Journeyman III

Vega 64 Keeps pushing up towards 90 C

I can't seem to keep the temps cool enough to play for more then an hour. I have the fans cranked up to 100%, but still pushing high 70's low 80's. The problem is it overheats the SSD I have underneath the card, causing performance and at one point eternal repair loop. I had to do a full windows install because it corrupted my back up. I just want my GPU to run at lower temps, without loosing performance, and play for long periods of time. I need some help with this issue!

0 Likes
4 Replies
qwixt
Forerunner

The only way to solve the issue is to get a blower style card, watercooled with blower cooler for memory, 100% water cooled, or relocate the M.2 drive if possible. Because all other style cards will blow hot air onto the M.2 drive directly blow it. I guess you could over-compensate by having an extreme case intake fan power. But the problem will still remain.

Not knowing your motherboard, have you considered adding a PCIe x4 slot adapter for M.2 drives? Make sure you get NVMe compatible one if that's what you are using.

Sorry,

Ryzen 5 2600X

Night Hawk 16 GB 3200

MSI X470 Carbon

EVGA G3 750

Vega 64 Reference Card

The NVMe has a cover, but it sits against the sided of the gpu and transfers heat right too the ssd. What are my aftermarket options for cooling?

0 Likes

I would just take the cover off that nvme drive if it's touching the video card. This is totally a clearance issue and that's a terrible place for an nvme SSD slot to begin with... Otherwise, if you really have to use that slot, you might ditch the aftermarket cooling hunt and get an M.2 NVME extension cable instead - just mount the drive elsewhere ( use some common sense ). If I had to deal with that I would probably tape it or zip tie it to the back end of the Vega 64 ( the side opposite the the display outputs  - the right side of the card, not the 'back plate' ). This would probably put it in front of a case fan...just a thought. These things do exist.

These extension ribbon-plates are available on EBay and Newegg.

I won't drop links here but:

M.2 NVMe SSD SSD Extension Cable M2 Supports PCI-E 3.0 x4 Full Speed 32G\bps on newegg

and M.2 Nvme Ssd Disk Extension Extend Cable M2 Supports Pci-e 3.0 X4 Full on ebay looks promising.

Searching for a video review or similar, you'll probably see someone with a RX vega and NVME issue. 

Otherwise it sounds like the heat cooked it, if you really have to get another one that long, then you could try running the gpu in the second PCIe slot, albeit in x8 mode - many reviewers will tell you there's very little difference. I don't know that your motherboard will handle that configuration, I know I was able to run a WX4100 off the x370 PCIe x8 slot on my Crosshair 6 without much of a fuss but your mileage may vary.

Now there's the issue of the actual m.2 slot you use, and whether or not the nvme ssd can run at gen 2 or gen 3 mode - you may be able to move that out of the way if there's no real reduction in performance on the drive. You'll have to check the ssd's compatibility or backward compatibility and it's rated speed to see if gen 2 is a bottleneck for it.

0 Likes

Sounds like the video card thermal material may be compromised. I use MX-4 and I have repaired many video cards with it successfully.

i suggest using front intake fans and rear/top exhaust fans to move air fast and keep the hardware cool as possible.

0 Likes