cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ajlueke
Grandmaster

No PCIe 4.0 Support for pre-500 series AM4 motherboards

If you were hoping to buy a new 3000 series Ryzen CPU and add PCIe 4.0 support to your existing motherboard, that dream is now well and truly dead.  Here is the quotation from rhallock‌ in a post on reddit.

"This is an error we are correcting. Pre-X570 boards will not support PCIe Gen 4. There's no guarantee that older motherboards can reliably run the more stringent signaling requirements of Gen4, and we simply cannot have a mix of "yes, no, maybe" in the market for all the older motherboards. The potential for confusion is too high.

When final BIOSes are released for 3rd Gen Ryzen (AGESA 1000+), Gen4 will not be an option anymore. We wish we could've enabled this backwards, but the risk is too great."

4 Replies

Well it would be a nice added bonus but to my knowledge this was never promised.

0 Likes

While the functionality was never promised, AMD did state that they would not stop manufacturer's from implementing this if they wanted too.  Gigabyte actually had early UEFI versions out with the PCIe 4.0 option available.   

That is where AMD has reversed course, in that they have now mandated that mobo vendors not do it.  I think there were enough problems with the 2000 series CPUs and 300 series motherboards and consumers failing to ensure the UEFI was updated, that AMD didn't want to go down this road.

Thanks I get all that and they certainly IMHO should have known what they would be able to do before opening their mouths. I was just pointing out this isn't like them promising the that ryzens would support all am4. I don't think they ever said it would do PCIe 4 until very recently.

0 Likes

I should add though that if some of the boards can support it, what is the harm in allowing those that can to do so?

0 Likes