cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

spcy
Adept I

Building a new PC with an AMD Ryzen CPU but with which one?

So I decided to build a new pc with the following specs:

MOBO--Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming AMD X470 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail 
CPU--AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 6x 3.60GHz So.AM4 BOX                                     
RAM--16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX rot DDR4-3000 DIMM CL15 Dual Kit                     
SSD--500GB Crucial MX500 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s 3D-NAND TLC (CT500MX500SSD1)        
GPU--8GB Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Pulse Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Full Retail)          
Case--Cooler Master MasterCase H500 mit Sichtfenster Midi Tower ohne Netzteil grau   
PSU--500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 Non-Modular 80+ Gold

I don't know if I should buy a Ryzen 5 2600X, a Ryzen 7 2700X or even wait for the new Zen 2 generation. Because of the budget, I chose the 2600X so far, and since im only gaming, I don't see an advantage of the 2700X for the higher price tag. I also use photshop quite frequently, but I don't use any rendering or video editing software. The only real advantage would be the great stock wraith cooler from the Ryzen 7 series for me compared to the Ryzen 5 2600X. I'm not sure whether I'll overclock the CPU, GPU and RAM or not. When I would buy the 2600X I would definetily need a new CPU Cooler which is about 30€ to 50€, so there's only about 50€ difference to the 2700X where I wouldn't really need a new Cooler. So would the 2700X would be worth it in the end? Regarding the Zen 2s, I think they are too expensive at the release for my budget, but I don't really know. I also don't know, whether or not the 500 watts PSU will be enough for 2600X or 2700X with this setup. I used the PSU calculator from beQuiet and I got around 420 Watts but I don't rally know if I can trust that. For anyone wondering about memory, I already have a 3TB HDD.

0 Likes
6 Replies

Wait for the Ryzen 3000 series in July, even if you don't decide to go with them they will cause the Ryzen 2000 series to drop in price. As for the PSU, 500w would be sufficient, but too close to what you would need, so go with a 750w, and I would highly recommend a quality OEM, namely Seasonic, or a designer who uses quality OEMs, such as Corsair.

Thank's for your response, I will wait about a month then. The PSU calculator already calculates your maxium amount of energy needed in the worst case scenario, so why in the wolrd would I need a 750W PSU? I even chose the overclock option (RX Vega 56, Ryzen 7 2700X, 2x DDR4 3000 CL15 RAM, 2x SATA, 3x airfans) and I get a 416W which is the maximal. I'm also pretty happy with the beQuiet brand, since my previous pcs also had psu from this brand and everything worked fine.

0 Likes

The PSU calculator already calculates your maxium amount of energy needed in the worst case scenario, so why in the wolrd would I need a 750W PSU?

Because wattage is meaningless, and if you're going to use cheapo power supplies, you need to exceed what you need. Also, a PSU is most efficient at 50% load, and a PSU loses a small amount of capacity every year due to capacitor aging.

Okay, thanks for further explanation. I'm just a bit concerned about wasting electricity and by that wasting money. When I use a higher wattage PSU, my pc also consumes more electricity, or does the psu regulate that? This should be alright, am I right?

750 Watt Corsair TX-M Series TX750M Modular 80+ Gold

0 Likes

A PSU doesn't provide any more power than is demanded from it, so you could use a 1600w PSU, but if your computer only draws 500w, it's going to only provide 500w. That PSU is fine.

Thank you very much!

0 Likes