cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

amrtosson
Journeyman III

amd 7970m is stuck on 18.3.4

hi i have an alienware m18x r2 i have dual  amd 7970m in crossfire every driver after 18.3.4 gives me a black screen on my laptop screen plz help

0 Likes
5 Replies

Try updating your Laptop's BIOS to the latest version if you have an older version than A14 installed from 12/10/2018. It is considered to be "Urgent" according to DELL: Support for Alienware M18x R2 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US 

Your laptop seems be a very old Dell laptop from 2013 (according to the driver's dates).

For the latest AMD Driver version to work you must first update the Intel Integrated graphics also. I would use Intel own Driver Updater called Intel Driver and Support Assist. 

This should update all of your Laptop's Intel Drivers to the latest version.

Now here is how to install correctly your AMD Laptop driver: Laptop graphics update...How to 

Once you have updated your BIOS and all Intel Drivers including your Integrated Graphics, now try installing the latest version and see if it works.

NOTE: if your laptop is still crashing with AMD latest Driver it might indicate your laptop is not compatible with the latest AMD Driver.

0 Likes

thanks a lot i will try now

0 Likes

i updated my bios to bios a14 and updated my intel graphics too and make a good clean then updated my amd drive to a new one nothing happen still black screen what i can do?

Why the company ignores solving this problem for users of this model ................ i'm so sad

0 Likes

It is possible you laptop may not be technically advanced in hardware to run the latest AMD Drivers.

Try installing a previous AMD Driver, the earliest first and see if it works. If it does then update to the next previous driver to find out at which driver your laptop starts to have problems. You can download the drivers from here: AMD Radeon™ HD 7970M Previous Drivers | AMD 

You can also check to make sure your Dell laptop doesn't have any failing hardware by running diagnostic on it.

From DELL Support to run diagnostics from their website: Support for Alienware M18x R2 | Diagnostics | Dell US 

NOTE: Run diagnostics first and everything comes out fine then try the previous AMD Drivers.

I would open a DELL Support ticket and find out if Windows 10 is supported by your laptop and what version of Windows 10 is supported.

This DELL Support BSOD website might be useful if not as a future reference: My Alienware Crashes to a Blue Screen Error | Dell US 

That would be your best bet, in my opinion.

NOTE: kingfish‌ is quite knowledgeable concerning laptops and its AMD Drivers.

EDIT: Thinking about your Laptop being in crossfire with the two HD7970M GPU Cards. It is possible that the latest AMD Drivers don't support Crossfire thus crashing when installing. Is it possible to disable one of the HD7970M GPU cards so that it won't be in Crossfire and see if the AMD Drivers works?

Can you disable Crossfire on your laptop? If disabled than possibly the latest AMD Driver should work. Seems like those GPUs support Direct-X 12: AMD Radeon HD 7970M Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database 

This article indicate that AMD stopped support for Crossfire in 2017: AMD Bids Farewell To CrossFire After 12 Years, Retiring Brand In Favor Of mGPU 

0 Likes