Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vangan
Journeyman III

No sound on RX580

Hi,

Sorry if this repeating a question but I have tried a few methods to resolve this. 

My monitor is connected with an HDMI and images/video are perfect. But I have no sound. If I am playing a video I can see the bars going up and down, but still no sound output.

I have tried using an older version of the AMD software, tried updating the drivers manually, tried a custom install of AMD software and checked the HDMI is the default sound out-put.

I am not a complete noob, but answers in plain English would help. I am not sure what you need to see or what other information would be helpful, but any help is massively appreciated. 

Cheers,

0 Likes
3 Replies

I apologize as these are simple suggestions and may be something you logically have already done, but I have no idea the experience level of the OP asking questions. Have you ever at any time had sound working through your monitors speakers either with this card or another? If not you might try this monitor on another computer to verify the speaker are indeed working. Or you could plug it into a dvd player or game console to verify.

From the computer side verify that your default audio settings are choosing that HDMI audio. Much of the time your computer will have 2 or more types of audio output as you will have at least one built in the motherboard and the other available through the GPU. So in your case if the motherboard audio is the default output it won't play through your HDMI to your monitor.  I found this youtube video to show how to do this if you are unfamiliar:

How to change your default speakers in Windows 10 - YouTube 

If neither of these end up being the issue I would then for sure re-install the AMD driver choosing CLEAN INSTALL.

This may set things correctly again if they were not. Verify after doing that again that your HDMI audio is default for output.

Reply back for additional help if none of this helps. Or you can also request help from AMD support here:

Online Service Request | AMD 

Good luck!

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. I did have sound on the monitor, but then i moved it (in the car). i am thinking that i have knocked something. I tired the PC on my TV late last night and i had sound!!

I haven't had time to try the monitor with the xboxyet, but i am guessing its the monitor. i will try this out later.

Sorry for wasting anyones time, i really didn't think it was the monitor. 

Thanks,

Chris

Now worries just glad you are figuring out the issue!

Happy Gaming!

0 Likes