cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

amdbooger
Adept II

Vega 64 World War Z HANG

As stated in title, my Vega 64 is unable to play this game without a hang within seconds to 5 minutes.  I know this is a VEGA specific issue, as i took my sons RX 570 out of his computer, put it in mine and PRESTO!  I can play for hours and hours no issues.  Both cards share the same windows 10 driver....meaning, the issue is specific to the Vega.  AMD, it is a bit daft that a AMD optimized/sponsored title is nigh unplayable on a Vega card.  How on earth do you slap your Logo/brand all over the game without making sure it is at least playable on your GPU's, let alone your last generation flagship card.  Weird.

10 Replies

What do you mean they share the same driver? Is this the driver you installed? Did you clean install it or did you install it over the previous drivers?

AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops 

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.  The Driver itself, if after downloading you look at the driver itself...the one for the Vega 64 and RX 570 are identical.  If you install, then go to device manager, and view the driver details, both the Vega 64 and the RX 570 are literally running the same. exact. driver, regardless of whether you click different prompts, (rx 500, Vega Series) you end up downloading the same driver.  After further research, it appears AMD is very aware of this issue, as it is listed as a "known issue" under Adrenaline 19.5.1 highlights.  Quote from the highlights:   "World War Z™ may experience an application hang after extended periods of play when using Vulkan™ API"  Hopefully in the next update this will be a fixed issue.  When i can get it to run for the few minutes it will using Vulkan, my FPS are through the roof, switching to DX11 in the game kills performance.  

**FIX** For those having same issue  **FIX**  Go to video settings, turn off Vulkan and select Direct X 11. switch to High settings, not ultra.  Ultra settings on DX11 in this game yields atrocious performance.  High settings runs much smoothing with DX11.  When doing the above, i am able to play this game somewhat stable.  I can usually get an hour or two in before any issues arise.      

cadaver1991
Journeyman III

I am also having issues with my STRIX Vega 64 and World War Z. I've not been able to resolve the crashing. I've tried:

- Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode, followed by clean install of latest AMD drivers

- Reverting both CPU and GPU to factory speeds, despite my overclocks not having an issue in any other games

There could legitimately be something in need of fixing at the driver/game level in terms of compatibility.

0 Likes

Go to video settings, turn off Vulkan, select Direct X 11.  This has solved the issue for me.  While using Direct X 11, lower your setting to high or medium for higher FPS, as it runs poorly on DX11 compared to Vulkan.  This will allow you to play the game enjoyably until drivers updated to fix this.  This is in fact a driver issue as it is listed as a "known issue" in highlights for most recent driver release. 

0 Likes
billbishere
Journeyman III

That is not a fix, it runs like TRASH on DX11 for some reason.  It's frustrating this is a AMD game yet it crashes all the time with AMD hardware.  I am about done with AMD.  THis same thing happened with Division 2.  It took almost a month before it was playable...  

0 Likes

Ok, how about "work-around".  Semantics , anyone?  Like i said, lower settings from ultra to high or medium and it plays fine on DX11.  I'm getting 75 low, 118 high FPS on high DX11 on my Vega 64.  I'm not sure if that's "trash", but i certainly find it playable.  If it makes you feel any better....just search World War Z and Nvidia issues.  Nvidia cards were not even able to run the game at all, and still some 20 series cards are not recognized.  Crappy driver support for new games is not exclusive to AMD.  Good luck to you.

0 Likes
amdbooger
Adept II

UPDATE:  With newest driver package relase, optional 19.5.2, Direct X 11 performance has increased DRASTICALLY.  So yes, i would say switching from Vulkan to DX11 is a confirmed FIX.  attached are pictures of my benchmark results from 11am EST today after downloading and installing new driver contained in 19.5.2  Happy gaming!

20190524_110620.jpg

20190524_110628.jpg20190524_110645.jpg

billbishere
Journeyman III

As much as you want this to be acceptable... IT'S NOT. 

Game devs should not be putting out games that have this level of issues.  Not to mention THIS WAS AN AMD PARTNERSHIP GAME.  If they can't get it right with AMD on the payroll...there is a BIG problem with that.  Also, Vulcan is a AMD product as well.  So I need to change it to Dx11 which is 10 years old.....away from the product (Vulcan) AMD invented and updates regularly  It's the main thing they worked on, that's why DX11 was such crap and they are now running around behind the scenes trying to make DX11 work better because they failed on Vulcan.   

That is fail on top of fail.  I am not sure who is more at fault here, the game devs or AMD.  They both failed miserably here I would be interested to know who dropped the ball more. 

I am sure you will come back with some sort of misplaced optimistic pie in the sky nonsense but, the fact remains.  Right now, this game is not playable on AMD or NVIDIA. Over and over I load into games and play for 15 mins and then it locks up.  DX11 still lags IN GAME, sure benchmark looks good but... the lag in game is real.  I am uninstalling until they get a real fix. 

Even in the latest drivers it lists WWZ as crashing after playing for a period of time. 

Happy Gaming. :/

0 Likes

Not sure why you seem to be upset, with me personally....i am not an AMD employee, so you are barking up the wrong tree.  My game performs fine in multiplayer, i get over 144fps stable even online, and my game does not crash.  Sorry the fix that worked for me, did not work for you.  As should be obvious, the issue that i had (which is now fixed), may not be the same thing you are experiencing.  My target is 144fps gaming to get 144mhz refresh, i could care less what API i'm using.  I've played the game in Vulkan and DX11....i literally cannot tell a difference other than Vulkan ran better before 19.5.2.  I'm enjoying the game right now, without issues...i don't sit here and ring my hands over which API i'm enjoying the game on.  While i do own AMD stock, i also don't sit around and get upset about whatever internal company struggles they have going on or what they are "failing" at.  I don't care, most people don't.  I was just putting out information on something that got my game up and running without crashing, with a good FPS rate.  If that wasn't helpful to you, sorry.  If you are so dissatisfied and upset, don't use either AMD or Nvidia, make a statement with your wallet.  Get a console where things are much more smooth (although they both use AMD hardware i'm pretty sure).    Again, good luck to you with your issue and of course,

HAPPY GAMING!! 

0 Likes
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

This issue has been addressed via an app side update, as mentioned in the patch notes. https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/39683/world-war-z-undead-sea-update-patch-notes

0 Likes