Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

conumdrum
Journeyman III

No Boot - Threadripper 1920X

25 May 2019 Update

When powered on the RAM lights but no fans spin, nothing else seems to get power, and the system does not post. Discovered that the Gaming 7 MB had issues with proper seating of CPU. Swapped MB for a Gigabyte AORUS X399 Pro. Same results/symptoms. Swapped the PS . Same result. Swapped the CPU thinking that the original MB seating issue/imbalance could have caused issues with the CPU. Same result/symptoms. Tried different RAM… same result. Believe this to be a CPU Protection issue as though the motherboard does not see a CPU cooler present or is in power protect. Tried different configurations for the FLOE RIING install to no avail. Replaced the cooler. Same result.

Any suggestions ?  Posted Here @ AMD | Gigabyte | Thermaltake | Corsair

=====================================================================================

Built a threadripper system and have serious issue. System does not Boot, does not post, it just lights up the RGB RAM.  Pulled everything out; same issue.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Any assistance & advice is greatly appreciated.

System Build Consists:

Gigabyte X399 AORUS Pro

AMD RYZEN 1920X ThreadRipper

32GB Corsair VENGENCE RGB 3200MHz (2 sticks 16GB)

Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 850W

Thermaltake Floe Riing RBG 360

SAPPHIRE Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB

Western Digital 1TB NVMe

0 Likes
18 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

conumdrum, I will try to help.  Certainly have not seen anything like your problem.  Please delete (use Actions at the lower left to Edit) your e-mail address.  It is never a good idea to post an e-mail address in an open forums.  Ultimately 850 Watts may not be enough but that is not your problem now.  Do you have the latest BIOS, if not Flash (flash back) the latest.  Please do a Clear CMOS using manual instructions and try to boot again.  Please one then other other memory stick.  Ultimately you will want at lease four sticks for your four channel MB.  Let us hear what you see and we will go from there.  Thanks enjoy, John.

0 Likes

John

Thanks for the scrubbing info. All personal info removed

Appreciate it

Scott

0 Likes

conumdrum, you are welcome.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
conumdrum
Journeyman III

swapped out CPU with replacement; swapped out Cooler with replacement; same issue; No POST; No Boot; only RAM lights up

0 Likes

Sorry, conumdrum, not good.  I assume you carefully examined the pins when the processor was out?  Please do a Clear CMOS following manual instructions.  Does your MB allow flashing BIOS without a processor?  My MB calls this FlashBack.  If so, please flash your latest BIOS.  Make sure you have all the power connections secure on the MB and if possible check the voltage on the connectors with a meter.  When you say only RAM lights up, are you saying the fans are not running?  If so, you need to get that corrected First.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi John

Yep; swapped out NEW CPU; NEW Cooler; same symptoms; only RAM lights up. No fans even move or attempt to spin.

Dumbfounded that 2 different motherboards had the same issues and now swapped the CPUs & Coolers and issue continues

Thanks for the quick response.

0 Likes

conumdrum, are you able to check the voltages of the PS?  At lease make sure all the PS cables are seated.  Can you borrow a PS from a friend?  You will never be able to boot with no fans turning.  RAM runs on 12 Volts (voltage regulator), so some 12 Volts is working.  Please let me hear.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

John

I swapped out the 850 with a 1000; same issue no power other then RAM lighting.

Tested the 850 PS with a dr power ii – it is good

0 Likes

This a long comment but will help try to narrow down why your computer is not booting up.

Hi, First determine your RAM Memory is listed and compatible with your Ryzen Threadripper: X399 AORUS PRO (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A. 

Next step when you first power up, what Trouble codes shows on your Motherboard? Either Trouble LEDs, Trouble Digital Codes, or BEEPS.

That will narrow down what is causing the PC from booting.

You can also disconnect all the hardware from your motherboard except KEYBOARD/MOUSE, Windows Hard Drive/ SSD, GPU, CPU, PSU, plus remove all RAM Memory module except One and put it on the first RAM Memory Slot.

Now power up and see what Trouble code or LEDs or BEEPs indicates.

Also make certain that the CPU Cooler Fan and GPU Fans and Computer case fans are all running when you try to boot. Especially the CPU fan which will cause the CPU to overheat in matter of seconds and shut down.

As mentioned, be sure all of your motherboard's Power connections are connected otherwise it won't boot up.

From your Manual on how to troubleshoot boot problems Flow Chart:

From your Manual showing Trouble LEDs and what they represent when lit after failing to boot:

Once you finally boot up, update the AMD CHIP Set first then update to the latest BIOS from 03/2019.

NOTE: According to a PSU-GPU Website, the minimum PSU you need for a RX Vega64 to be installed on your computer system is a 700 Watt PSU. But your PSU should be sufficient to boot into Windows Desktop easily.

FYI: Later on once you get your computer working correctly, if you notice crashes during high loads (Playing games) it is possible your PSU is not supplying enough power since you also have a high wattage Processor of 180 Watts.

NOTE: For you convenience I attached your Motherboard's Manual for you to download and read the Decode Error Codes from your motherboard and help configure your BIOS if it is similar.

0 Likes

Appreciate the quick response

Swapped out other RAM; same issue; no power to anything – fans, no post no boot

No codes or beeps

Will try your suggestion of removing all the devices ie GPU & NVMe

Thanks again

0 Likes

conumdrum, you must get the fans running!  See my post above.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Read you last comment.

You replaced the Motherboard twice and the CPU and Cooler.

Sounds like a defective PSU.

Make sure all motherboard Power connections are connected.  Incompatible RAM wouldn't cause the Fans in the computer to not work.

If you have or can acquire a cheap Multimeter, your can power up the computer and take one of the 12 VDC cables and check to see if you have 11.4 -12 or slightly higher 12 VDC.

So you either have a defective PSU or a defective/damaged PSU cable to the motherboard. 

If your fans are not running and you don't see any lights except RAM seems to me you are not getting sufficient power. The fans especially the CPU Fan must be on for the computer to work, otherwise the Processor will overheat in seconds and shut the computer down. 

Even with a bad hardware, your fans should be working.

EDIT: Read that you also replaced the PSU with a 1000 watt PSU with the same results. ignore the above suggestions.

I would check your wall outlet for proper voltages and also check you have the PSU switch on the proper voltage for your home.

0 Likes

That is what a thought when I first put it together; had a NEW replacement PS; same issue after swapping out.

Tried a 1000w PS as well; same issue

I have replaced MB, PS, RAM, CPU & coolers now

Same issue.

I’m awaiting response from Thermaltake to make sure I have the pump in the correct connector

Thanks for the assist

0 Likes

Your motherboard has, I believe, a special CPU Pump connector.

0 Likes

AWESOME!!

Gonna check these after dinner – I’ve taken up the dining room with the PC and the wife is tolerating the mess

Thanks again – this may be the issue

0 Likes

Was thinking about the No Power to your computer motherboard.

By any chance do you have the Computer case On/Off switch connected to the motherboard with the rest of your computer's Front Panel wiring?

If the wire came off the motherboard from the Computer Case On/Off switch, the computer will never turn on. That wire is easily dislodged when you are fooling around inside the computer case or motherboard.

0 Likes
savraa
Journeyman III

Hey conumdrum, I have the same issue. Did you find any solution?

0 Likes

I did have a bad power supply at the 1st go around

After 5 weeks of troubleshooting – it ended up being caused by a ground out of the motherboard to the case.

Build it outside the case and see if it powers up, then install one screw at a time to narrow down what screw is causing the ground out

Good luck

0 Likes