cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

danieljackmorley
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen™ 3 2200G linux mint

I have an AMD Ryzen Processor on a Gigabyte Mother Board.   It boots up fine.   I am trying to install mint linux on it.   The graphics go black once I start the process.   I am new to linux as well building computers. 

0 Likes
6 Replies

Possibly not many mint users here, you may do better asking on https://forums.linuxmint.com/

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
danieljackmorley
Journeyman III

Dude Linux people are probably don't know anything about AMD hardware.  If this forum does not know if linux can be installed on it no one will.  

0 Likes

Try mankato linux - is more up to date with the latest kernel GPU drivers. You might need to use the option  on installation to download the latest driver or updates while installing. 

Otherwise you may just let the screen go blank and walk away for a bit,  it may finish this process and reboot. Try hitting the enter button after 10 minutes or so ( perhaps use hdd led to check for activity )

If this is a new build, make sure you've got all your atx power cables plugged in securely, and check you thermals via the motherboard bios monitoring screen.

You may glean some information from they as well. 

0 Likes

Hi

Is Mankato linux a distro. When I run an ISO file off a usb does it contain the software drivers for the Linux OS. Or do those need to be separately installed.

Regards

0 Likes

I meant Manjaro, it's a rolling release linux. And it's only a recommendation. 

More often than not you get a baked version of a live linux where the latest drivers are not available locally.

Ultimately all linux graphics drivers get updates.

You need as distro with a 5.0+ kernel version to get the up to date features.

You will also need to get the amdvk? libraries, these are the vulkan runtimes and aren't generally included or are out of date on most live ISOs.

Just typing AMD into the package manager is usually enough to find the extras. 

nanohead
Adept I

The problem is the Kernel.  Mint tends to stay back on Kernel versions, and their current version doesn't support AMD APUs.   You can do 2 things.  You can either try and boot the installer and update the kernel during install, or you can simply install Ubuntu and then install Cinnamon on top of it, which behaves almost identically to Mint.

I did the latter, I use a 200GE, and use Ubuntu 18.10 with Cinnamon