cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

thill1239
Journeyman III

Major Issues w/ XFX RX580 GTS XXX Edition (8GB)

Hi there, 

I recently built my first PC and the build went great (initially)... Here is my setup: 

Thermaltake Core V21 Case (200mm case fan on front, intake)

2x Corsair 140mm Case Fans (exhaust)

Seasonic 80+GOLD 550w PSU

ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4 MicroATX mobo (LGA 1151 socket)

Intel Core-i5 9400f w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler (Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste)

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 1386Mhz OC+, 8GB GDDR5

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz

2 x Crucial 256GB SSDs connected via SATA 6GB/s

2 x WD 5400rpm HDDs connected via SATA 6GB/s

Hooked up to my Samsung QLED 55" 4K TV (Q6F model)

Running Win 10 Education (OS build 17763.475)

One of the main reasons I built this PC was to play my favorite game, Cities: Skylines. I had been playing on my MacBook Pro but it just wasn't a great experience. Anyways, after I first built the PC I was playing the game at 1920x1080 no problem. Highest detail on everything and it loaded perfectly and looked awesome. However, I noticed that my Windows display settings were set to 1920x1080 and since my TV and graphics card support 4K, I obviously wanted that resolution. I had the hardest time getting it to change, and eventually figured out it was a cable issue. The "4K" cable I purchased on Amazon wasn't true 18Gbps 4K, so it didn't work. Fast forward with the new cable and Windows loaded into 3840 x 2160 automatically and looks great.

Now the problem is that whenever I load Cities: Skylines, it will flicker on the loading screen and then when the game loads the black screen flickering gets so bad that I just have to Alt+F4 the program and close it entirely or I can't do anything at all. I should mention that I did set the game to 3840x2160 resolution (since it had that option, I figured why not) and this is when I first saw the issue. I assumed that taking it back down to 1920x1080 would fix it, but this is not the case. The exact same thing happens no matter how low I take the resolution. Also good to note that when the flickering occurs, I am losing both audio and video to the TV. 

I've done a ton of testing and found a couple weird things - audio and video seem to cut out when trying to load / play the game and when trying to watch any Netflix program via the Win10 Netflix app. I thought maybe it's just an issue with video / games, as just browsing and doing other things on the PC works great. But I decided to try watching Netflix through Chrome and it worked perfectly! No black screen, no audio cut out (or audio delay), anything. Tried watching a video on YouTube as well and it worked perfectly. 

I have looked on every forum and spent hours researching this issue and I am at a loss. I bought the graphics card on Amazon and the last day to return it is May 20th, so I am trying to solve this ASAP or see if I should just forget it and return it.

Have tried adjusting power / fan / OC settings in Wattman, unplugging and plugging in HDMI cable, enabling / disabling FreeSync on the TV and on the GC, enabling / disabling HDMI link assurance, and lots of other things too. Updating all drivers, reinstalling Windows, etc. No luck with anything yet. 

Sorry for the long post but this has been a huge pain for me and any help or advice is much appreciated!! 

0 Likes
1 Reply
jhasan86
Journeyman III

Slightly different build but the same problem. I get audio throughout the flickering and have been through exactly the same troubleshooting process as you (video settings, cables, etc.). Have now asked paradox to see if they know what’s going on. 

0 Likes