I'm pulling my hair out having spent the last 48 hours trying everything I could find online to solve my issues - I throw myself at the mercy of this knowledgeable community to return my sanity to me.
Windows 10 Home (completely updated)
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R v1.0 Mobo Award BIOS F11
Intel i7 920 2.67 Ghz
3x4GB DDR3 Vengeance 1600 Hz
Silicon Power 1 TB SSD
Corsair 650W Power Supply
The system was stable as a rock with the old graphics card. I removed my old graphics card and put in ColorPower Red Dragon RX570 (VBIOS Version: 015.050.002.001.000000) and during the installation of the 19.5.1 Adrenalin software, the signal to the monitor dropped and didn't come back. The computer kept running (confirmed with log files after) but I couldn't see anything. When I reboot, the monitor loses signal during the boot (first for a second and then 2 seconds later, for good).
The only thing that has given any variability in result is installing different AMD software (all installs done by booting to safe mode, uninstalling device and driver, running DDU, rebooting with internet cable removed and installing from AMD software). While 19.4.1 gives the same result, 18.5.1 and 18.2.2 fail with a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE BSOD during bootup. 17.11.1 has been the best so far, allowing me to boot, but then crashing with the same VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE BSOD when I do certain things in the system (e.g. plugging my iPhone into the USB drive for iTunes causes it).
Other things I've tried that have had no bearing on behavior:
- Windows clean install
- Tdr delay registry setting (tried values of both 0 and 8)
- Playing with the Hz of the DRAM
- With 17.11.1 installed, I changed WattMan settings to add 50 to the power (which was met with the system automatically reverting the setting due to an error)
- Disabled Fast Startup in Windows
- Enabled/Disabled XMP in BIOS
- Rolled back chipset drivers to original manufacturer's versions
- Attaching other monitors
- Using HDMI and DVI cables
- Disabled Windows automatic driver updates
I'm open to try anything - to me it points strongly to a software/driver issue - just can't figure it out.