AnsweredAssumed Answered

Threadripper 2990WX hardlocking - how to proceed

Question asked by zoso on May 11, 2019
Latest reply on May 22, 2019 by misterj

Issue: My new TR2990WX build (specs below) is hard locking after a few hours of load: The screen shows a "No signal" message, sound stops, the power button becomes unresponsive, but fans are at 100%. Only way to reboot is to switch of the PSU.

Reproduction: Today I found a way to reproduce it within a couple of minutes: Prime95 torture test will do, both the blended and the small FFT (which doesn't involve RAM , but runs from L2 exclusively) take 5-10 minutes before my machine hardlocks.

Things it's not:

• A (simple) thermal problem: All temps are below 60°C at all times
  • The PSU. As one of the first steps I swapped out my Corsair AX860i for a AX1600i. Didn't change a thing.
  • The RAM. Multiple full passes of Memtes86 and the "small FFT" Prime95 both indicate RAM is not involved.
  • AISuite 3. Even after a fresh "clean" install of Windows the problem perists
  • A fault Windows install. I did clean Windows install (no drives except system, no internet, CMOS cleared, BIOS flashed back, as few USB devices as possible etc.) without success
  • The BIOS version
  • The driver versions (all up to date) - that's not to say it isn't a driver issue, of course
  • OC: Everything has been on stock settings all along
  • The GPU. This one in not 100%, but the "Prime95 Small FFT" reproduction.

Question: How do I proceed? When I got in touch with ASUS support (before I found a way to reproduce the issue so nicely) they narrowed it down to three things:

1. A faulty Windows install (which I eliminated as a possible cause, see above)

2. The Motherboard

3. The CPU

I think there might be other causes, but I agree the two remaining ones are the most likely ones.

Hiow do I proceed? I do have a spare GPU, but no MB or CPU.

Does the "Prime95 Small FFT" failure point to a faulty CPU?

Hardware:

CPU: Threadripper 2990WX

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 2080 OC 8GB

MB: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha

CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4

SSDs/HDs: Intel Optane 900P 480G (System), Samsung EVO 970 2T, 2 more SATA SSD, 2 WD 4T SATA HDs

RAM: 128GB Corsair CMK128GX4M8A2666C16 (on the QVL List)

Case: bequiet! DarkBase 700 with 4 SilentWings 3 high-speed fans

PSU: Corsair AX1600i (replaced a AX860i)

Outcomes