cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

chloeacqua
Adept I

Gpu crashing when under stress, possibly overheating

so i bought a 590 fatboy off newegg, ive updated the graphics drivers...got new ram...etc. But when running some games (generation zero...ark...) graphical intense and such after awile it will crash the gpu...aka suddenly cut to a black screen then  longer send video to monitor.....or just crash the game im playing.

6 Replies

I am sure you will get more activity in this thread if you post your entire computer setup including Windows, BIOS, and AMD Driver installed.

Also upload any images showing temperatures of the GPU & CPU and fan speeds when it crashes by using a hardware monitoring program.

If you are using AMD Wattman, upload a image showing how you have Wattman configured.

0 Likes
chloeacqua
Adept I

windows 10
dunno about bios but motherboard is h270 pro 4 from azrock
and i configured wattman but it resets every time i crash so i stopped, so its default right now
i cant get a picture of it because it crashs when it reachs around that temprature
Latest amd driver installed 19.4.3

0 Likes

The black screens are power ceiling and thermal throttling issues. This is common to all RX 580 and RX 590's.

Set your power limit to +50 and use a custom fan and temp curve. I have attached my curve for reference. Do similar with yours.

that worked!!! ....sortof...it crashs still...just not as soon and to desktop instead of full on graphics crash...but were getting there! (played on generation zero, the game that crashs the fast and got about....5..10 mins in before it froze the game.....10 secs later crashed game and black screen for a little then came back on. Event viewer shows this "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

0 Likes

Honestly these cards should work at defaults but many do not. If these tweaks are not getting you to full stability about the only thing left is to underclock the card. I would not go there if it were me and that card can still either be returned or RMA'd under warranty. I would exchange it if you still can. You might try it in another machine first to verify it isn't something else in your computer like a power supply issue contributing to the issue as well. 

photo.png

I don't get a black screen I get this. then it either stays like that, or reboots.

0 Likes