cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Firefox bug disables all extensions. Hotfix available, but takes up to 6 hours to get.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/

9 Replies

This morning when I started using FireFox, it warned me about some extensions being "Disabled". Turned out to be all of my extension except for two minor ones. Was unable to install new extensions from Mozilla website. Three of my extensions I use extensively which were disabled. Went to the same webpage you posted and followed the instructions to get my extensions enabled again. Within a few minutes, all my extensions were working as normal. When I restarted Firefox, Firefox was unable to download and show any webpages at all. It just showed the webpage waiting to download even though the link was active and correct. 

Couldn't find any mention of this at Mozilla Support. Even though I had the latest FireFox version installed. I downloaded the FireFox installation file and installed FireFox again. Afterwards, everything started to work correctly and I disabled Firefox telemetry in Settings again.

I only use 3, NoScript, AdBlock Plus, and the Camelizer. On a data limited connection, unblockable (without NoScript) HTML5 videos and flash ads are bad news.

The three that I use extensively and depend on are ADBLOCKER PLUS, McAfee WEB ADVISOR, and ROBOFORM. Plus WOT and S.3 Translator. All were "disabled" by Firefox. I was about to switch to Google Chrome as my main browser if all those extensions were kept disabled permanently.

0 Likes

I used to use Web Of Trust, until it was revealed they were selling our personal data, and never went back to it despite supposed changes. I used McAfee Site Advisor long ago, it was broken on Firefox for a long time so I stopped using it, plus I don't really go to sites I'm not familiar with.

Still, is a pretty black eye for Mozilla to have this situation, compounded by the fact that the "fix" is to enable, although temporary, a feature which lets Mozilla install and run whatever the heck they want. I find it hard to believe they couldn't push out 66.0.4 with a renewed certificate in it instead.

I am using AT&T version of McAfee Anti-Virus. It is basically the same as the regular McAfee software. I know that McAfee Web Advisor does work because once in a while I get a warning about a website being unsafe on both Firefox and Chrome Browsers.

I hope you are correct about WOT that they stopped selling data from Users.

When Firefox first started, I was a fan for a long time. Then they decided to update Firefox almost weekly. It was a pain because the new version would make some of my extensions not work or incompatible. So I was constantly replacing incompatible extensions or themes. So I went to Google Chrome for several years until I started having issues with that browser. So now I am back to Firefox which is more flexible at the moment then Google Chrome. But I still use both when I need to.

I agree, Mozilla should have just reverted the buggy new version to that last good version automatically. This new policy of updating Firefox several times in a month is counterproductive. I rather they just update the browser once a month or less. Less hassles for Firefox Users and gives developers a chance to update their extensions or software.

Image Microsoft updating Windows weekly, there will be an uproar from everyone. That is why, from what I have read, Microsoft updates once a month.

0 Likes

I don't like Chrome because it's made by Google, and as we almost saw this year, Google almost blocked all adblocking and script blocking features, so there's little keeping them from doing another 180, especially as they derive their income from advertising, doubly especially since Microsoft switched Edge to the Chromium base, which is just another large company whose best interest it is to serve ads, even in the OS itself.

That is one of the issues I have with Google Chrome concerning blocking all Adblockers or script blocking which is why I went to Firefox.

As an example. I enjoy doing playing many puzzles on USA TODAY website. I need to disable Adblocker to have access to play the games in both browsers. In Chrome I am forced to watch endless video ads before and during the time I am playing games. really irritating and frustrating.

Yet in Firefox with Adblocker disabled for that same USA TODAY website, I don't get not even one video ad before or while playing in the same website.

So even though I have to put up with constant updates, at least the updates are having less effects than before since most improvements are hidden.

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

I manually update my windows versions and linux ubuntu versions to 66.0.4. If you google "firefox build candidates ftp 66.0.4", the results will return a ftp directory listing for 66.0.4. Problem is that the link is for build1 directory which no longer exists. So I used build3, then picked version, win64 for win 10 and linux-x86_64 for ubuntu linux. From there, I picked my language, en-US. Then downloaded and installed the packages.

No idea if I brought in more bugs or not, but I figure it can't be as bad as disabling all extensions.

0 Likes

Do have to be careful when you manually install anything from Mozilla that's a RC, you'll get kicked to the nightly update channel until you install a release channel version. 66.0.4 was pushed to the release channel sometime yesterday, but like all releases it was staggered, and still doesn't fix everything.

0 Likes