Radeon Vega FE Crossfire Single GPU Utilization

Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X

Memory: 64 GB Corsair Vengence RGB Pro DDR4 3200 Mhz

Motherboard: MSI X399 Meg Creation

O/S: Win 10 Pro

Main Drive: 2 Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB RAID 1

Graphics Cards: 1 Radeon Vega FE W/C 1 Radeon Vega FE A/C

Power Supply: Seasonic 1300W 80 Plus Platiunum

I was running a single Radeon Vega FE watercooled card. I just added a second Radeon FE air cooled card so that I can run crossfire. I use this machine as a workstation and run CAD applications. I have a pretty big CAD assembly and I have to work on the top level of the assembly a lot. With the single card rotating the assembly was choppy at high settings. I figured I would try a second card and run it in crossfire to improve performance. 

I have crossfire enabled. I can monitor both cards in wattman (I am running the gaming driver mainly for stability because I can set the min/max memory speeds). I can see both cards in windows task manager. I have a custom profile for the application I am trying to use crossfire in (PTC Creo Parametric). I have both cards installed on PCIE X16 slots. However I only see one card being utilized when I am using the application. 

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I should add that I am running 2 BenQ 4k monitors. Both monitors connected to the primary card. This is the first time I have used Crossfire... I am running the application maximized, is this the same as running it full screen? Should I be spanning the application across both monitors?

0 Likes
3 Replies
hammah33
Journeyman III

I was able to get crossfire to eventually work. I am not entirely sure what did it. I took the other card out, un-installed the drivers and installed  the 18.q4-nov5 drivers.  Once I got one card working ok I installed the second card and now crossfire works in gaming mode.  Once I pull up the app I can see both cards being utilized.  However all this work seems futile at the moment. With Crossfire enabled my CAD program is unusable. If I rotate the part on the screen then stop rotating, the geometry freezes for about 3 seconds, then everything works again. This is not good, as I cant be waiting 3 seconds every time I rotate the model (which is a lot!). 

0 Likes
hammah33
Journeyman III

Thanks for the info. That is helpful.

On the CAD side, unfortunately I cant tell my clients they need to switch CAD vendors  So I am stuck using what they use.....

-Paul

0 Likes

does you CAD package work OK with one card installed?

0 Likes