AnsweredAssumed Answered

RX460 Sound Crackling over HDMI on both Win10 (Adrenalin 19.4.3) and Ubuntu 19.04 (amdgpu driver)

Question asked by shadowrx on May 3, 2019
Latest reply on May 6, 2019 by shadowrx

Hello,

I have a rather annoying problem with my system sound over HDMI.

Here is my system specification if needed:

MB: ASUS Prime x299-deluxe

CPU: intel skylake-x 7820x

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw V DDR4 4x8GB @ 2400MHz

GPU: AMD RX460 2GB

H.D.D.: Toshiba p300 1TB

PSU: Cooler master v750

The system is connected to my LG LED TV over HDMI.

I have both Windows 10 (with latest updates) and Ubuntu 19.04 dual-booted.

The problem is that the sound crackles every now and then on both operating systems.

This crackling is most noticeable on the speaker test section of each OS.

I have already tried disabling on-board realtek audio chip with no luck. Tried every solution proposed over internet and nothing seems to work. I have also tested the system with another TV (SONY LCD TV) available in my house.

Finally I have came to a thread that was describing a similar problem and its provided solution fixed this crackling on windows 10.

1- Enabling power efficiency on global setting: this considerably reduced the crackling but not completely.

2- Changing minimum state to state 1 on global wattman setting: This totally fixed the crackling.

Even modifying state 1 frequency to 214Mhz (state 0 frequency) seems to be OK and doesn't cause crackling.

It seems that the state 0 which can't be modified by users has some stability problems.

Is AMD aware of such a problem with their gpu driver?

Meanwhile I'm not able to fix this problem on Ubuntu as there is no GUI for amdgpu driver.

Regards,

D. Khazaei

Outcomes