cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

Integer vertex specification is cast from GLint to GLfloat

I'm trying to render a quad (two triangles) on screen with the vertex array buffer data of type GLint (typedef'd to an int32_t on my system) but the data I get in the vertex shader is as if the GLint had been cast to GLfloat.

The specific part of code where I provide the vertex data reads:

glGenVertexArrays(1, &g_quadVA);
  glBindVertexArray(g_quadVA);

//Vertizes
  glGenBuffers(1, &g_quadVBO);
  glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, g_quadVBO);
  glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 8 * sizeof(GLint), g_quad_vertex_buffer_data, GL_STATIC_DRAW);

glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);
  glVertexAttribPointer(0, 2, GL_INT, GL_FALSE, 0, NULL);

//Indizes
  glGenBuffers(1, &g_quadIBO);
  glBindBuffer(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, g_quadIBO);
  glBufferData(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, 6 * sizeof(GLuint), g_quadindices, GL_STATIC_DRAW);

As you can see, I'm specifying the vertex array number 0 with type GL_INT (g_quad_vertex_buffer_data is an GLint array). In the Vertex Shader I'm also using

layout(location = 0)         in  ivec2 eingKnoten;

i.e. I define the vertex input as type ivec2. The data I get when reading eingKnoten.x in the VS isn't the integer I specify in the application though but rather bit for bit the value of (GLfloat)g_quad_vertex_buffer_data[#] i.e. a floating point number.

My question is: Am I missing something? Is glVertexAttribPointer(.., GL_INT, ..)  and in ivec2 eingKnoten all that's needed to do when using integer vertex data?

I've attached a small test case that illustrates my question. It's a VS 2015 project where the main code is in Quelle1.cpp and the shaders are Shaders/test.{frag, vert}

On my system it renders a small, red rectangle.

My operatnig system is Windows 7 64bit, my card is an RX480 with the following driver:

Radeon Settings Version - 2019.0326.2353.42986
View Release Notes - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-4-1
Driver Packaging Version - 18.50.31.01-190326a-340999C-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2019
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01377
OpenGL® Version - 25.20.15000.13547
OpenCL™ Version - 10.0.2766.5
AMD Audio Driver Version - 7.12.0.7728
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.78
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.101

0 Likes
1 Solution
dorisyan
Staff

Hi einzuweitesfeld‌, here is some problem in the file 'Quelle1.cpp', when you try to pass the array of generic vertex attributes with type GL_INT, you should use glVertexAttribIPointer instead of glVertexAttribPointer, function 'glVertexAttribPointer' will convert the data from int to float. More details please refer to https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL-Refpages/gl4/html/glVertexAttribPointer.xhtml

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
dorisyan
Staff

Hi einzuweitesfeld‌, thanks for your report, and I will investigate it as soon as possible.

0 Likes
dorisyan
Staff

Hi einzuweitesfeld‌, here is some problem in the file 'Quelle1.cpp', when you try to pass the array of generic vertex attributes with type GL_INT, you should use glVertexAttribIPointer instead of glVertexAttribPointer, function 'glVertexAttribPointer' will convert the data from int to float. More details please refer to https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL-Refpages/gl4/html/glVertexAttribPointer.xhtml

Thanks!

0 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. It now works as expected.

That's really something I should have figured out myself. Sorry for stealing your time.

0 Likes