cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

panagioti
Journeyman III

FirePro v9800P overheating

I have a FirePro V9800P (passive cooled) GPU on my i7 CAD workstation. The card has always run hot even though I have fans running very close to it and very good case cooling. Recently it has started to overheat on occasion and shut down. It will reset itself following a cooling period and I may resume my work. I would like to replace the heatsink with a active cooling fan setup and need advice on aftermarket (or OEM) fan compatibility. I also believe that the thermal paste may be an issue and that will of be dealt with during the fan modification.

0 Likes
24 Replies

possibly this one AMD employee might be able to answer your question since he is involved in Professional GPU cards fsadough

NOTE: Have you tried to clean the Heat Sink fins? Also not sure if you remove the Heat sink if that might nullify AMD Warranty if it still is applicable. It is possible the Thermal Paste has hardened and gotten too old to maintain an efficient heat transfer. Possibly by replacing the Thermal Paste it might start running cooler.

There are many 3rd party GPU Coolers (Newegg.com for one) but they may not be compatible in installing on your Professional GPU Card.

I see that your Professional GPU Card is considered to be legacy and not supported by updated drivers. The last driver is from 2017 from here: FirePro™ V9800P Drivers & Support | AMD 

Anyways, fsadough‌ is the best person to advice you on what to do.

0 Likes
fsadough

V9800P was never intended to be a CAD product. It was designed for servers and proper cooling. If you are planning to change the heat sink, you will be on your own and honestly considering the cost to change the heat sink, if you find the proper one, I would suggest you purchase a brand new Radeon Pro WX 7100 or WX5100. 

Thank you for the reply and information. Are you saying that the passive cooling heat sink is what makes this card intended for servers or another aspect of it, because it was recommended to me as I recall, for my specific purposes?

I realize that I'm on my own by changing out the heat sink, that's why I asked the question in this forum, I am not having any success trying to determine a compatible active cooling setup and hoped someone could suggest a specific model, the compatibility information has escaped my searches..

I'll have a look at the two cards you've suggested but other than this recent overheating event, I've found this card to be more than acceptable and have been quite pleased with it. 

0 Likes

I am not sure who recommended V9800P to you for a CAD-Workstation. The V9800 was indeed a CAD product but not V9800P

panagioti
Journeyman III

I don't remember either but in any case I believe you're saying that they're the same chipset with different cooling solutions. Can you confirm this and if so, can you recommend an active cooler for the card? 

The temps on the card have actually come down a good bit since that event so I'm looking at the thermal paste as the possible cause. 

0 Likes

The active cooling of V9800 should fit.

I've had no luck locating one. I did clean and apply new thermal paste (Arctic 5) and the temps have come down to 95°C under a full load Furmark test but this is still too hot for me so if I can't find the factory cooler I think I'm going to try an Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo III and do whatever I have to do to make it fit. In the interim I have installed a Radeon card in my main PC while working on the V9800P on a different machine and I can say that I will never, ever use a gaming card in a workstation again. I started out with FireGL's then moved to FirePro's in dual card/dual monitor setups and they are absolutely stable in every aspect I require, this Radeon is a nightmare for CAD and Photoshop applications to me..

0 Likes

Radeon is a gaming card and not suitable for CAD 

0 Likes

fsadough wrote:

Radeon is a gaming card and not suitable for CAD 

I have used uppity gaming cards with CAD and they work ok as long as you chose the card with more VRAM like my suggested RX 580 8GB

0 Likes

Did I say they don't work? It's about performance, extended warranty, certified drivers and so on. You can even run CAD applications with integrated GPU (onboard graphic), It works.

0 Likes

3D Studio is really demanding for VRAM and integrated graphics tend to be limited. The shared memory approach with Windows 10 does help a bit with discrete cards but I would consider an 8GB card to be a tight squeeze and would like a 16GB card for that sort of need

0 Likes

Are you referring to Autodesk 3ds Max?

0 Likes

fsadough wrote:

Are you referring to Autodesk 3ds Max?

yes

0 Likes

3ds Max is only certified with Workstation graphics cards. What is the question here? What can I do for you?

0 Likes

fsadough wrote:

3ds Max is only certified with Workstation graphics cards. What is the question here? What can I do for you?

It works fine on high gaming cards too

0 Likes

Excellent

0 Likes

My old GTX 750 Ti is actually more powerful than that V9800P let alone my GTX 1060

I would replace overheated V9800P that with an RX 580 8GB which has double the VRAM and its actively cooled so it can handle the workload better

Versions of the RX 580 with dual fans are popular as they tend to be cool even with abusive loads

0 Likes

You're probably correct, I should have moved to nvidia chips a long time ago because I'm an Intel/Adobe user but for whatever reason I started using AMD gpu's and have stuck with them ever since. 

Regarding the power of your GTX 750 and the RX 580; I just finished removing an RX 560 which has my substitute card for a few days and I swear that I will never again buy anything that doesn't include the words "workstation" somewhere in the description. I bought this RX 560 for a IP camera server a while ago and never installed it. It now has maybe 30 hours on it and will going on ebay first thing next week. Fortunately, because I am all too familiar with AMD drivers on Intel CPU's, I thankfully made a full OS image prior to swapping out video cards and thank God I did. For whatever reason following the hardware changes, which involved removing a pair of FirePro's and replacing with a single RX 560, and installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the Radeon drivers multiple times, and after a half dozen or more reboots (this is typical for me with AMD drivers on Intel chipsets), I got the 560 functioning correctly but for a reason I could not track down online, Lightroom would simply not, under any circumstances, including rebuilding of the catalog, display any thumbnails or previews. They were there, as the Develop Module would display a single image at time (no thumbnails), but nothing I tried worked or had any effect whatsoever! Explain that one? Anyway the 560 was removed and the FirePros installed, and the previously made HDD image restored and everything is back to normal now, whew!

I don't have time for this foolishness anymore, I'm too old and need to get work done so my next build will most likely be an Intel CPU and a Quattro GPU like most people who have likely gone through what I have and are done with it. I still like the AMD's but their drivers are a nightmare on my builds.. 

0 Likes

The RX 580 with 8GB will make you happy as it is very powerful and there is lots of VRAM for 3D too

you might want to get on the adobe forum for gripes over their flakey software

i use Avid which is the pro choice

0 Likes

Well thanks but I've made my choice; the 9800 will do for now until the next build. We're coming from different worlds you and I, you likely love Auto-Tune and special audio and video effects, and I rebuild vintage open reels for recordists and audiophiles and still use large format film for important stuff. To each their own.., not even a single game on my PC, don't even play solitaire. Photoshop, Illustrator, and low level CAD stuff are my games of choice..

I need to work on a file that backs up automatically every 10 minutes without the GPU crashing the system at eight and a half minutes in, that gets old really fast, no more "gaming" cards for me I'm afraid..

0 Likes

file history is available in windows 10 and you can use a NAS to backup files as you work automatically

0 Likes

I wasn't referring to file history but that's okay, thanks for your replies..

0 Likes
panagioti
Journeyman III

Just a quick follow-up in case anyone else finds themselves here looking for an answer as I did.

I have replaced the stock passive heat sink with an Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo ll and found the results using MSI's Afterburner fan controller software more than adequate. On my open test-bed system, admittedly in a coolish room as our weather has been very mild here, I am able to control the GPU temperature almost at will. The numbers are 50-60°C at 50-60% fan speed using Furmark at 100% GPU cycle time. It will maintain this, and even better temperatures, seemingly indefinitely. The V9800 has a 4-pin header for the aftermarket fan and the only modification needed was to add 2 - 4-40 screws and locknuts were the OEM heatsink was removed. I did not go with the Twin Turbo III, which includes a rear facing heat sink, because of space considerations, but I would highly recommend it now because the back of the board does get very hot during the Furmark stress test.

I'll be placing this back in my workstation very soon and know that it will function the way I need it to.

Thanks again for all the comments, I hope possibly someone else may benefit from my experience with this card.   

0 Likes

I have used the Arctic coolers and they do a good job with power pig video cards

0 Likes