Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

flavio61
Journeyman III

HDMI port only for audio mode

Hi,

I have a RX580, the first HDMI port is connected directly to my projector, the second HDMI port is connected to my AVR. It is possibile to have only audio on second HDMI? I don't want to activate duplicate or extended mode display on Windows, and I can't use only the AVR because is not HDR compatible.

4 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello,

Can you simply disable the second monitor that Windows makes for your AVR, but still select it as the default playback device?

0 Likes
flavio61
Journeyman III

If I disable the second monitor I haven't audio from the second HDMI. Disable the monitor disable also the audio stream.

0 Likes

I don't think there is any way to do this.  HDMI by default sends audio information in the spaces between video information, and there isn't any pins that can be blocked to break that up.  ARC on HDMI will submit the audio data specifically, but both components need to support it.

0 Likes

As far as I know, you can only have one "Default" Audio device in Windows Sound Panel.  If you have HDMI as "Default" for the AVR then the second monitor's Audio wouldn't work. 

Can you piggyback the AVR to the Projector?  Maybe AVR HDMI Output to Projector HDMI Input?

What do you have the AVR connected to?

I have an Onkyo 5.1 Receiver. I have a HDMI cable connected from my GPU card to the Receiver. Then I have an HDMI cable connected from my Onkyo Receiver to my computer Monitor.

In this setup, I have 5.1 Audio from the AVR and video only to my computer monitor.

0 Likes