cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

nekolosyt
Journeyman III

Ryzen 1600 3.2GHz- Is this a good video/gaming rig?

I'm planning on building my first PC soon and I don't really have any PC-savvy friends or anyone I know, so I was wondering if this rig was the best I could get for my money for what I want.

I don't game too much, the games I'll probably will be playing is CSGO, Rocket League, and GTA V.

I do video editing too with Adobe premiere, only 1080p, and Photoshop/Illustrator too.

Here's the parts:

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor

ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.SKILL FORTIS (for AMD) 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) AMD X370 / B350 / A...

Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/240G

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM

GIGABYTE Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 GV-RX570GAMING-4GD 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFire...

MasterBox Q300L mATX Case w/ Magnetic Design Dust Filter, Transparent Acrylic Side Panel, Air Flow P...

Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020102-NA) by Corsair

I'll include a pcpartpicker link too just in case you're interested: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nekolos/saved/DJFJ8d 

Thank you for helping

0 Likes
2 Replies

Firstly you -need- DDR4-3200 or greater speed RAM due to the way the Ryzen's Infinity Fabric works. Now, of the games you mentioned, GTAV is the most intensive, and when GPU is taken out of the equation, the 1600 is perfectly capable of averaging 60fps, and with the CPU out of the equation, the RX 570 is also perfectly capable of averaging over 60fps at very high settings.

image010

fps

Now, if I were to suggest changes to you:

-Dump the garbage SSD and get a real one from Samsung at least 512GB in size.

-Trash the WD Blue drive and get a WD Red, blue is the low end, red is the high end and ultra reliable given they're built for NASs.

-Throw out the kiddy motherboard and get something from a reputable manufacturer, ASUS being top choice.

-And finally, get an NVMe drive for your OS.

These would be what I recommend.

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

In terms of recommendations., my own are along similar lines but I have slightly different alternatives.

Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY / Predator DDR4 2667MHz … and if you plan on getting a Ryzen 2nd or 3rd Gen Later., then I'd recommend 3200 - 3600MHz but be sure to Down-Clock to 2667MHz with the Lowest possible timings you can get away with.

Reason being is that Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen are locked to 2667MHz in terms of Bandwidth., the only reason you get better performance beyond that is because of Lower Latency.

Why Kingston over other brands? Well because AMD and Kingston share the same DRAM/SRAM Source., meaning identical timings … this provides better Latency per CL, better Bandwidth and better Bank Switching (Memory Interleaving) for Full Population.

< • >

SSD + HDD … there's somewhat of a reason why the only recommendation that will ever be given for SSD is a Samsung 970 EVO. It's better than the competition by a country mile, with not only the best R/W Performance but also frankly the best Longevity.

Still given $40-50 seems to be your "Budget" here., I'd recommend either the WD Green 240GB $43, WD Blue 250GB $49 or Samsung PM981 Polaris (OEM) $52

In terms of a Physical HDD., Samsung Barracuda (Compute) … literally DO NOT get anything else. 

As it's the ONLY Physical HDD that will peak at > 250MB/s (what it claims) providing excellent performance for Gaming / Performance Reliant Applications; while at the same time it's Failure Rate / Lifetime Data is so insanely good., that from experience I can tell you that while most HDDs I've had from other brands have latest ~5-6 Years... I've only had to replace 2 Barracuda in the past 20 Years.

We're seeing a similar trend in regards to Samsung SSDs, hence why they're recommended so highly. 

Personally what I'd recommend here is the

Barracuda (Compute) 2TB ($59) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2RR55Q/ref=psdc_1254762011_t1_B07D9C7SQH 

Polaris (PM981) 256GB ($52) https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PM981-Polaris-256GB-MZVLB256HAHQ-00000/dp/B07CGCJJMV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=...

Sure an extra $11 over what you've selected., but the SSD is 10x Faster with 2x Lifespan; and the HDD has 2x Storage Space, with 30% the Seek Times with 230-250MB Sustained R/W. 

The difference in terms of performance between the WD Blue and Samsung Barracuda in "Real Terms" is Anthem will load in 1min 36sec on Blue., 52sec on Barracuda. (Anthem for all it's faults is GREAT as a Storage Drive Benchmark )

< • >

Motherboard... ASUS B450 Prime M-4 https://www.amazon.com/Ryzen-Gaming-Motherboard-B450M-CSM/dp/B07FKV5HWJ  $80

It's a bit cheaper... sure it doesn't have the 2nd PCI-E x16 Slot., but given that you'll a) Never Run a Multi-GPU Setup and b) the 2nd PCI-E x16 Slot on Bx50 is limited to x4 Speed (PCI-E 3.0 Mode) and x8 Speed (PCI-E 2.0 Mode) … realistically you can only get away with an RX 3500 / RX 570 / GTX 1050Ti / RTX 2050 in there in a "Best Case"

Still the 400-Series Chipset does provide some good "Upgrade" Options as it supports the Ryzen 2nd Gen Features.

With this said., keep in mind that the Ryzen 3rd Gen and 500-Series Chipset Motherboards are due out Soon™

In fact the Ryzen 3rd Gen has been delayed by 500-Series Motherboards not being Ready., although I forget exactly what the rumoured reason behind why (hence why they weren't seen at GDC as planned)... in any case they are set to see release sometime during Early May - Late June. 

So it might be an idea to wait., as either you might have better options OR it'll likely drive prices down further to where you'll be able to get an R5 2600 for the same price as the R5 1600. 

Still as noted., if you can't wait, yeah I'd go with the Asus B450 Prime. 

0 Likes