cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

trevinlc1997
Journeyman III

Do you think AMD would solder their Zen2 mid-high APU's?

Alright lets just assume all the leaks are correct and there will be a Ryzen 3600G (8/16 and 20 Navi CU). On the table it shows that the TDP would be around 95W and how the cost would be like $199.99-$???.

AdoredTV.png

Now this would be a pretty hot chip compared to the other APU's and the price range would also hopefully warrant solder.

You may ask why someone would want a "high end" APU but its mainly because I am building an small itx build that I can take with me on trips / etc. And the reason I want it soldered is so I don't get any thermal throttling in small case like this. (I refuse to use laptops because once something goes out your screwed) 

st-f1cs-evo-ws.jpg

0 Likes
3 Replies

If the High end APU is soldered on the motherboard on a desktop type computer case it will be extremely difficult to upgrade the APU in the future.  The only processors that I know of being soldered are in some old or certain laptops, depending on the type of Motherboard socket it uses.

I would think you might try and locate a motherboard with AMD Embedded graphics on it that would fit your small computer case. It would be the same as having a soldered APU in many ways.

But then again, this is just my opinion.

0 Likes

Sorry I may not of been too specific. But what I was referring to is using solder as the TIM. (Not solder to the motherboard) Currently they are using thermal paste and I know you don't get as good temps. (It's not uncommon to get 10c-20c drop if someone were to replace the thermal paste with LM)

0 Likes

Here is from another current AMD Thread that asked a similar question. Seems like for the Ryzen 2xxx AMD reverted back to using solder for its IHS Casing instead of TIM. So it is a good chance that AMD will continue the same with the Ryzen 3xxx: Ryzen 3 2300X/2500X use TIM, or it's soldered?  The article I posted did mention that AMD APUs uses TIM instead of solder, so I presumed when the article mentioned that the Ryzen 2xxx series will be soldered it will also included the Ryzen 2xxx APUs.

0 Likes