Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mglopes
Journeyman III

Threadripper 1950x computer crash when rendering

Hello,

I'm a 3D arch viz and I'm having a problem every time I need to render. I work with 3ds Max 2018 and I have no problems when running the software (Max) or with video watching, games playing etc. But every single time I need to render it crashes. I was wondering if maybe I can get some feedback about this. Since I need this in a daily basis it it's stressing me out a little.

My comp spec are:

CPU - AMD Threadripper 1950x 

Memory - G.Skill (4x8) DDR4 3200Mhz Ropjaws V

Graphics - ASUS RTX 2070

Power - 1100w

Cooler - Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

MotherBoard - Asus Prime X399-A

Windows 10 Pro

I already installed and reinstalled every software that I use and the problem persists. I also checked that the motherboard is updated and that there is no overclock. All drivers are up to date. 

Thank you in advance for all the help

Cheers

Miguel

0 Likes
4 Replies

This AMD Thread is sorta similar but with a Ryzen 2990WX processor. But it might give some tips that might be useful in your situation: Threadripper 2990WX Crashes 

I would also update your motherboard's BIOS and CHIP SET to the latest versions and make sure your Windows is completely updated via Windows Update.

Found a very new BIOS update from Asus Support for your motherboard: PRIME X399-A Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA 

Also a fairly new Asus Chip set:

By any chance, have you tried stress testing your CPU and GPU to see if it crashes under stress?

It is possible it is RAM Memory problems with the speed you have it set or it is not completely compatible. Is your RAM Memory listed in Asus Motherboard's QVL List? The list is outdated since it was last updated on 2017: PRIME X399-A Memory / Device Support | Motherboards | ASUS USA 

Excuse me if you have done this already since you did mentioned that your updated everything on your motherboard.

Attached Asus QVL List for Ryxen 1xxx processor RAM Memory compatibility.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Miguel, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Also please look in your minidump folder in the Windows folder.  If it is not empty, please compress the folder and attach it to your reply.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
square2
Journeyman III

Hi Miguel.
Could you solve your problem ? what was the causing issue ?I'm in exact the same situation since i bought Threadripper 1950x with bios and all drivers up to date.Still having a pc permanent Freeze during any cpu intense render unless i restart .
Thanks.

0 Likes

Hello,

I was eventually able to solved my problem. I updated everything but that didn't solved the problem. At the time I was rendering and working with very large environment scenes in Max for Archviz, a lot of vegetation. And what was happening was that during the render, my render engine was draining completely my memory so the cpu crashed. Because I had no time to lose I increased my memory and since then i haven't had that problem. I don't know if what i did is the best solution(it is definitely not the cheapest one), but it worked for me. 

Cheers,

0 Likes