cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pakizito
Journeyman III

Idle CPU frequency is high and fans go on all the time

I bought a HP laptop with AMD Ryzen 3 2200U and so far I'm loving it... the only thing is that I have it always connected to the AC power and it heats up constantly... (not too much of course) but the fans start spinning quite often... I see both cores at a minimum of 1597mhz constantly not doing anything... tried the power management on windows 10 and still nothing... is there a way to reduce the idle frequency? I've been with intel since the late 90s, going back to AMD i awesome... Thanks guys!

0 Likes
12 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

pakizito, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (R) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Store bought systems come with lots of junk-ware.  I suggest you determine the junk you do not need and uninstall it.  You can use the Power Plan to control the frequency.  Open Settings and then the power plan you want to use so you can adjust the values.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thank you very much for your fast reply.

I discovered today there's that application called Ryzen Master and will install it when I get home.

Will do that.

But the weird thing is that like the task manager is showing like 2-3% CPU usage... but still, it gets hotter and like every 2/3 mins the fans start because it passes the 45celcius...

This is by any means any problem but at the end of the night there's no noise anywhere and I keep hearing the fans going on and off...

Thank you very much!

0 Likes

Ryzen Master is not compatible with the ryzen 3 2200u...

what other options exist?

Thank you very much.

0 Likes

pakizito, what makes you say that?  If you are getting an error message, please post it.  I'm not aware of any such incompatibility.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Ahhh sorry, I thought it was a known issue. thanks for replying. I downloaded it from AMD's site.master.png

0 Likes

HWMonitor is free and displays most of the information you need

The other part can be found in Task Manager, look for things using CPU time, OEM computers not running Windows 10 Signature Edition are known to be full of bloatware and even malware.

Also, and I'm sure you know this, if you keep a laptop continuously plugged in, remove the battery.

0 Likes

black_zion wrote:

Also, and I'm sure you know this, if you keep a laptop continuously plugged in, remove the battery.

Batteries on my Lenovo laptops are trickle charged occasionally and there is no damage to them at all.

0 Likes

Sources to keep laptop batteries out when constantly plugged in:

https://www.howtogeek.com/124715/should-i-leave-my-laptop-plugged-in-all-the-time/

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Does-Dell-recommend-that-laptops-not-stay-plugged-in/m-p/3479873#M537934

https://www.lifewire.com/remove-your-laptops-battery-when-plugged-in-2378119

0 Likes

I often take my laptop out for work so it does get run down occasionally. Other times it sits around not powered and the battery dies off.

I get new batteries occasionally when they lose capacity which typically with my usage takes maybe 18-24 months.

My Lenovo X230 battery has lasted a bit longer mostly as I work more on my desktop now that my research is done.

0 Likes

pakizito, it is true that RM does not support Mobile Ryzen processors at this time.  Sorry, John.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Thanks, pakizito.  I suspect you are correct - checking now.  The only alternative I can think of is the one I use which is AIDA64 (measurement only).  It is paid, but I trust it.  I know of none for OCing - do not really OC myself, sorry.  I'll let you hear if I learn anything different.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I recommend using the balanced power scheme in Windows.

Beware that the average CPU speed will be faster if there are a lot of programs running. Minimize the autoload crap and the CPU will thank you for it.

0 Likes