AnsweredAssumed Answered

GPU scaling isn't working with LG 38uc99-w monitor and Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro  GPU (didn't work with RX 580 Nitro  SE either). Will it ever work?

Question asked by sonyad on Mar 23, 2019
Latest reply on Mar 25, 2019 by sonyad

Hello everyone,

In August of last year, I upgraded from an AMD Athlon 64 X2 and Radeon HD 4890 last year, to a 2700x and Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ SE GPU. This week I upgraded to a Vega 64, likewise from Sapphire.

All this time I've been waiting for a driver update which will get GPU scaling to work with my monitor, an LG 38UC99-w (3840x1600, also supports 3440x1440, 12:5 aspect ratio). The Vega 64 isn't powerful enough to play everything I play at 3840x1600, let alone 3440x1440, with everything cranked up to maximum, including in the driver, and keep above 60 fps consistently. Freesync makes a big difference and the frametimes are more stable than friends' intel and nvidia systems I've played on but still, I would like to be above 60 fps all the time.

As such, I would like to be able to play some games at 2048x1536 and upscale to 3440x1440 or 3840x1600 but I don't have that option because GPU scaling absolutely doesn't work. I'm forced to only rely on scaling by the display, which will only upscale from 1920x1080 and will just stretch the image horizontally if I try playing at 2048x1536 or something closer to 3440x1440 or 3840x1600.

Is GPU scaling ever going to work for me? I can't understand why it's taking so long to add GPU scaling support for a less popular aspect ratio? Surely I can't be the only one with a 3840x1600 12:5 display with an AMD GPU? Does the gpu scaling have to be hardcoded for each resolution or aspect ratio in part or something? Is it at least being worked on or on the roadmap at least?

Or is there an issue with this display which is hampering or preventing GPU scaling from working? I did update the firmware to the latest one available on the LG website, 3.11.

I'm currently on 19.3.2 but the release notes for 19.3.3 make no mention of this issue having been fixed in that version. Or even being a known issue. Is it a known issue?

I'm a yuge AMD fanboi. Went from using an S3 Virge to using an ATI X800XL to a Radeon HD 4890 to an RX 580 to a Vega 64. Next year I intend to upgrade to NAVI 20 or whichever the AMD halo gpu product will be. I've never owned or purchased an nvidia gpu. The last non AMD cpu I owned was an Intel Pentium 2 MMX, before I went to an AMD Athlon 64 and then 64 X2 and now a 2700x.

Can someone chuck me a rope?

P. S., can we also get an option to deactivate alpha channel / transparency for the Radeon Settings window and the Radeon Overlay? It seems to be causing lag issues on window dragging / moving to a different position on the screen. For any and all windows after having used Radeon Relive, activated from the Radeon Overlay, to capture from region (a discontinued CAD software from Autodesk called 123D Design but almost certainly has nothing to do with the issue). It's only fixed by restarting the system.

And, to a lesser degree, for just the Radeon Settings window, all the time. I don't care about subtle image or overlay faded/feathered edge translucency enough to get over this nuisance.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best regards,

Larry.

Attachments

Outcomes