cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

inputhone
Adept I

ProRender Blender Material Shading in Viewport Bug?

Hello, when using ProRender with Blender 2.79 on my Mac Mini (2018 i7 32GB ram Mojave 10.14.3) with an eGPU Saphire AMD Nitro Vega 64 (in an external Mantiz Venus enclosure) i get very weird material shading results in viewport.
Is this normal? What can i do?

VP-MaterialShade.png

VP-RenderShade.png

Further: I also noted that the Settings Tab differs highly from the User Manual Documentation on AMD Website:
https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/radeon-prorender-for-blender.pdf 
I am using official 1.8 built from their website. What is wrong?

Render-Tab.png

Ps. I also opened a thread hear on laggy viewport updates, which led me to the need of matrial shading at least..
HELP! ProRender Blender 2.79 laggy and slow viewport render update 

0 Likes
11 Replies
inputhone
Adept I

anybody got ideas on the material shading problem? any other place to get support?
ps. i already tried reachin out to amd support, but they said this is the place to ask questions..

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, can you provide the scene or materials setup? From attached pictures alone I can't see anything wrong with materials render result.

0 Likes

The render result is not the problem. Render is fine. The left picture shows the material shading view as u can see selected in the lower bar. The material shading is displayed fully black. That's the issue. Only solid shading and render shading works in blender 2.79 fine.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, now I've finally understand how to reproduce it.

The RPR material nodes are not recognized by Blender so it can't access the color data from it thus the black color on any object except for selected.

I'll look if anything could be done to support this mode for Blender 2.8.

That would be very much appreciated.

0 Likes
netcho
Adept II

I have the same issue with Blender 2.8 latest beta, eGPU with Vega 56 on Macbook Pro with Mojave 10.14.4

0 Likes

In the current prorender built for blender 2.8 it is officially stated that material shading and render shading for now share the same render shading view. So this is something different, hope to see the newer builts support material shading for blender 2.8.

0 Likes

My final render results are also fine. It is just the Viewport as you have it. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 2.8 the "Material" viewport Solid shading mode uses the "Viewport Display" panel settings of Material tab. It works with RPR as well.

MaterialSettings_ViewportDisplay.png

I should have specified- it does not work on external eGPU. It works on the built in Radeon R9 M370X. The guy that post this issue uses also eGPU with Vega 64 and I use eGPU with Vega 56. 

0 Likes

since 2.8 only has render and solid shading there is no bug. the original issue was posted refering to blender 2.79 where a material shading option exists for cycles. But thanks, this "Viewport Display" panel workaround helps a bit for now!

0 Likes