Several days ago I began noticing randomly distorted text on my system. In some cases running my mouse over the distorted text causes it to refresh and the distortion vanishes, other times it does not. The problem is confined to text--no other images or graphics are distorted. The text problem is not confined to any specific application, and can be seen in browsers, menus, etc. It's also not confined to any specific monitor--both my monitors have the same problem in the same way.
What I've tried that relieved the problem:
- Running in Safe Mode, or simply removing the AMD drivers (the problem disappears under those circumstances)
Things I've tried so far that have not worked:
- Running clean installs of the drivers, including older driver versions
- Running the AMD Cleanup tool, then installing drivers
- Removing the card, blowing out the PCI slot and assorted connectors, then reinserting the card
- Turning Clear Type off and on
- Checking my monitor refresh rates, trying different resolutions and DPI settings
- Running System File Checker (some errors were found and corrected)
- Windows 10 64 bit Professional with all the latest upgrades installed, 16 GB of RAM installed
- AMD Radeon RX 480 Graphics Card with 8GB of GDDR5 memory
I can't find any other instance in an online search with this specific set of symptoms, but I have to believe this is a software issue based on the fact that the mere loading of the AMD drivers causes the issue, and when they've been removed the problem goes away.
Any thoughts on further steps? I'd hate to have to replace the whole card, but I'm not sure what I can try next.
Thanks in advance,