zackaramfiles

GPU crashing, Screen frozen, can still hear game sounds.

Discussion created by zackaramfiles on Mar 16, 2019
Latest reply on Mar 21, 2019 by zackaramfiles
  • Asus R9 390 8gb @ 1000mhz (not overclocked)
  • I7-4790k
  • MSI z97 gaming 5
  • 32gb Corsair ddr3 
  • Corsair CX600w
  • Asus MX279H 1920x1080 60hz
  • running Radeon 19.3.2

So this problem first started after I did a fresh install of windows a couple weeks ago, migrating to a new boot SSD as well.

Ill be in the middle of a game (Apex legends and Warframe which ive been playing lately) in a scene that doesnt seem particularly intense to render (ie, theres been scenes with a ton of particles or intense graphics and its fine) and my screen will freeze and ill get a windows pop-up in the corner saying 'Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure'. The game will still be running in the background, i can hear it, clicking will still fire guns and i can walk around, but the display is frozen on an image and theres no way to return, i just have to force quit it and start again.

Ive tried raising my power limit and wiping the drivers and doing a clean install, neither seem to do much, i have no idea whats causing it and i cant recreate scenes which i know will crash it.

I have to imagine its some sort of software problem on my end because everything was working fine before i did a reset of windows.

Outcomes