AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cannot install any AMD driver after latest Windows update (March)

Question asked by apauliuc on Mar 13, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 8, 2019 by samm

Hi people. I have an HP ProBook 450 G1, with AMD Radeon HD 8750M. Although I had problems with it and Windows 10 since first day, things have worked out in the end until now. Yesterday after Windows' latest update, the laptop goes into black screen after showing the Windows logo. After forcing it to shut down and enter recovery mode, I can boot into safe mode and if I disable the graphics card, I can enter in Windows. However, things do not last if I try to install any driver for the graphics card. I've tried the March, January and even 2 editions from late 2018 which worked before, on previous Windows builds; all of them freeze at installation 30-40%, and nothing happens even after 20 minutes. Forcing it to restart gives me the black screen, over and over again. I even tried clean install, disabling Windows Defender and Firewall: nothing.

The only thing working right now is to either disable the graphics card, or let it stay with driver from 19/08/2015 (and no switchable graphics). Any ideas and tips on this stupid situation? I feel like AMD doesn't care at all on keeping older graphics card's drivers compatible, especially with Windows 10. Your help is much appreciated.

Outcomes