cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

army
Journeyman III

Can't update windows 10 to latest version with AMD A10-7800

I have two computers with AMD processors, one with AMD Athlon(tm) II x3 435 Processor which has been able to update to the latest Win 10 updates and a much newer computer with an AMD A10-7800 Processor which can't update to the latest processor and therefore has security issues. Who is going to fix this problem... AMD or Microsoft?    

0 Likes
13 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

army, excellent question, but with no information, cannot even guess.  If you will tell us what the error(s) are, then maybe we can comment.  BTW,this is a User forum.  I do not work for AMD and most who help here also do not.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

As far as I am aware, CPU shouldn't prevent you from updating or upgrading your Windows OS.

Need to post your computer information and the Microsoft Windows installation error you are getting. Could be you have some driver or hardware that is not compatible with the Windows version you are trying to upgrade to.

Last time I upgraded to the latest Windows (1809), the Windows installation stopped and said I had an incompatible driver. I temporarily deleted that driver and was able to upgrade without issues. Afterwards, I installed the driver back, again without any problems.

0 Likes

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I have been messing around with

my Lenovo desktop for two days trying to update to the latest version of

Win 10 (1809) which I finally thought was going to happen. I was doing it

through the Win Assistant and it told me my computer was safe to update.

The first couple of updates went fine through Win Assistant even though my

machine wouldn't take the update when I tried to do it manually. When I

finally got everything loaded my machine would not boot up. I have tried to

overcome that several ways with no luck. One article I read on the internet

told me to turn my machine off and on three times and windows 10 would

automatically boot up in safe mode. I tried that but it didn't happen. I

have tried starting using F7 and F10 with no luck. I have two other older

machines with slower AMD chips that upgraded fine but my newer Lenovo with

the AMD A10 would not. I am thinking the only thing I can do now is remove

the drive from my Lenovo desktop, wipe it and load Win 10 again. Do you

agree or do you have another suggestion?

0 Likes

Have you tried using Windows Creation Tool to install Windows?

You can use another computer if your present computer is not booting up. Download Windows Creation Tool from here: Download Windows 10 .

Run the Creation tool to create an .ISO file which you can use to make a DVD Windows installation disc or USB Drive. I believe you can burn a USB Drive directly from the Creation Tool or burn a DVD Disc.

Once you have the USB Drive or DVD Installation disk, make sure you configure your BIOS to start from the USB or DVD player on your computer rather than from your C: Drive in your computer.

Once it starts, Choose New Installation. Make sure your are connected to the Internet. If it asks to format your Hard drive say yes. BUT this will most likely erase any Lenovo Recovery partition on the Hard drive if you bought a complete Lenovo Computer.

I would suggest to go to Lenovo Support for your computer and see if it needs any special drivers or instructions before installing Windows 10

Another method is to install your C: drive from your computer inside another computer and than try to install Windows 10. Then re-install the new Windows 10 Hard drive back in your computer with the new APU and see if it boots up.

By the way, Turning the computer on and off three times in a row before booting into Windows will automatically go to the Troubleshooting menu but this is only when you already have Windows 10 installed.

Try the USB Drive or DVD Disc method and see if it installs. If it installs but the computer doesn't boot up might be deceiving you. It may actually be booting into Windows but with no Video from the integrated Graphics or GPU Card. Check the Hard drive LED on your computer case after installing Windows. When you power up it should start showing a solid and/or blinking LED indicating that it is booting up.

Make sure your Monitor is connected either to the Motherboard Video Outputs (APU integrated Graphics) or the GPU card Video outputs.

If it installs and doesn't boot up at all nor are you able to boot into BIOS, than you need to find out why.

Have you tried the APU in another compatible computer to see if the APU is defective. If it does the same thing and doesn't boot up with an installed Windows in another computer could indicated a defective APU.

Please keep me posted. It is unusual you can't install Windows 10 on your computer. I beginning to suspect you may have a defective APU or hardware.

If this computer is still under Warranty, I would suggest to RMA it back and let Lenovo figure out why you can't install Windows 10 under Warranty. You could have a defective hardware (APU or Motherboard or PSU, etc) in your new computer from Lenovo unless this is the same computer that worked with the older APU/CPUs with Windows 10 installed.

Contact Lenovo Support and see if they recommend to RMA the computer if it is still under Warranty. I would not mess with anything inside the computer case if it is still under Warranty.

0 Likes

Have you considered not installing 1809 and waiting for 1903? Is there a must-have feature in 1903 for you? If not, stay on 1803. As you can see by AdDuplex's February report, the vast majority of Windows 10 users do not use it (for a good reason). I myself am still on 1709.

0 Likes

Hi again,

I would like to thank you for your interest and all your suggestions but I

think I have run out of options other than removing my Hard Drive.

When I tried updating Win 10 five or six weeks ago and was having some

problems with 1809 on one of my other computers and after checking on the

Internet and finding other people were having the same problems I backed

off. Since then I have been checking the Microsoft site to see if the

problem had been resolved and a week ago was assured the latest version,

Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.379) was now safe to install and they had

fixed the problems in it. I then updated my two older Win 10 computers (an

older Acer Desktop and an older Acer Laptop both with AMD Processors) plus

a newer Acer Tablet with an Intel Processor to Version 1809 (OS Build

17763.379) and knock on wood have had no problems with either one of them

since the update. The Lenovo Desktop (with an AMD A10 Processor and 12 GB

Ram) I have been talking about I purchased a couple of years ago to replace

my older Acer Desktop but haven't had the time to make the switch. This

past week I decided I would bite the bullet and take the time to make the

switch between my two Win 10 desktops but before I did I would update the

operating system in my new Lenovo Desktop. I managed to get up to 1709 and

then got into some issues trying to go to 1809 so decided to leave my

Lenovo on 1709 for now. While I was updating a couple of pieces of software

on my Lenovo Desktop prior to the switch a message came up on my screen

stating that my computer didn't have the latest Win 10 update available and

would I like Microsoft Assistant to install it for me. Because I had 1809

on my other three computers with no problems as yet, I thought maybe I did

something wrong when installing 1809 and that if I used Microsoft Assistant

it might overcome that problem with my Lenovo Desktop. When I clicked yes,

Microsoft Assistant said it was going to check my system to see if it was

compatible with 1809. Microsoft Assistant checked and said my system was

safe to install the latest update Version 1809 and if I wanted to update my

system Microsoft Assistant would do it for me. I decided I would see if

this Microsoft Assistant could do what I couldn't with regard to updating

my Lenovo to 1809. Everything seemed to go well until I tried to reboot

after the install and my system froze. I had to do a hard shutdown using

the power button and I haven't been able to boot up since. I did read on

the Internet that the new Windows 10 had a way to overcome this type of

problem by trying to restart three time but this has not worked and I have

actually tried this three separate times since my original problem. I have

also tried getting into the BIOS with no luck.

Unfortunately, since my computer's warranty has expired, I will have to

resolve this issue on my own and I guess the only way I can do it is to

take out my Hard Drive, format it, and reload Windows. As a point of

interest, the only software I have loaded on my new Lenovo Desktop I also

have on my other three computers operating with Win 10 Version 1809.

Thanks again for your help

Regards,

Army

0 Likes

Army, I see no reason you need to remove your HDD to reformat.  Can you boot and get into the Boot Devices menu?  You may need to do a Clear CMOS.  On lots of machines, start the boot and tap F11 (please check your system instructions).  A screen should open with a list of devices on your system.  If you have the USB stick (4 or 8 GB, no larger and no smaller) with W10 from the Microsoft Media creation tool W10 files, click it to boot.  When you get to the 'Where do you want to install Windows'' screen, select and delete all partitions on your install HDD, then select it and format it.  Select it and click Next.  I am assuming you do not have any partitions on the HDD you really want.  If you try this, please let us hear.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

PS. I have been running 1809 (now 379) with no problems since shortly after it was re-released.  I am running with WHQL set ON in BIOS and the drive style GPT.  All my drives are GPT.

0 Likes

I got to admit you are the first person not able to install the latest Windows 10. I know that Microsoft has made some previous Intel and AMD CPU/APU not to be supported anymore but you will get a error message indicating that.

Since after installing Windows 10 and the computer doesn't even boot into BIOS indicate a hardware issue. Since Windows 10 is not loaded until after the computer POST (BIOS).

You have a two year old PC. So the motherboard might have Trouble LEDs. Normally one for the CPU, GPU, RAM, and maybe one other (HDD?). It also may have Digital Readout trouble codes. If none of the above then you can go by the BEEPS it makes to find out the area of trouble.

Need to open the computer case and check the motherboard when it doesn't boot at all or POST and see if you physically see any Trouble LED, Digital Trouble Code, or BEEPS.

I know on more modern Motherboards you need to do a special procedure to install Windows 7 but not Windows 10.

Also, if you believe that Windows updated successfully and now you can't even enter BIOS, just guessing, but if you install Windows 10 on another computer than transfer the HDD to the Lenovo, wouldn't it do the same thing?

0 Likes

black_zion, what kind of problems have you identified as 1809 problems?  Are you running in EFI mode therefore using GPT styled HDDs.  I have seen no problems using 1809.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Did you read any of the articles on 1809's woes?

0 Likes

I have not - links.  I have had no problems.  Have you?  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I use 1709, my updates are deferred as long as possible.

0 Likes

Thanks, black_zion.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes