GPU: Sapphire R9 390

Desktop

Driver Version Installed: 19.3.1

Display Devices: AOC i2269Vw, 1920x1080, 60Hz, DVI

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A BIOS Version 3503

CPU: Intel i5-4690K

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 80+ Gold

RAM: 16GB

I've been experiencing rare BSOD crashes a while ago. I would get random BSODs with the error "THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER" and dumps pointing to dxgkrnl.sys and atikmdag.sys. I would get these crashes once or twice a month.

But since a few weeks ago, I've been getting black screen crashes quite often. When it crashes I don't get a BSOD or a dump. I'm usually not even able to restart with the restart button either. I have to force shutdown my computer and turn it back on.

I don't get these crashes under load, I've stress tested my GPU and it was all okay. My temperatures are okay as well. I get these crashes quite randomly, I even got one as I was typing this. When playing a game, for example Apex Legends, I get the crashes usually in the character selection or menu screen.

There was a weird occurence last night as well. I started to see some weird colorful vertical lines in the character selection screen, and all was fine while in-game. But then I quit to the Desktop and it was all vertical lines and I had to restart. This only happened once.

I also got a BSOD too, it was THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER again. Do you guys have any recommendations or suggestions? Do you think my GPU is dying? I've been using it for around 3 years.

1 Reply
davaf
Journeyman III

I get exactly the same issue when I play any games. Ever since the AMD driver updates and a Windows 10 update 2 week ago. Previous to this I col play all games fine at highest settings including:

Apex Legends, GT5, Overwatch etc...

I have an:

Intel Core i5 i5-4690K CPU (Quad Core 3.5GHz Processor, 6MB Cache, Intel HD 4600 Graphics, Socket H3 LGA-1150),

Asus AMD Radeon R9 280 DirectCU II Top Graphics Card (3GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0)

MSI motherboard

Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory

Latest AMD drivers from yesterday 23/4/19

I have reinstalled Windows 10

Reinstalled older drivers

I managed to roll back the driver to Crimson 17.something using DDU and the games worked for a while but then I got auto updated back to the latest drivers and it freezes with a black screen and I have to force restart.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received including upgrade advice if you thinks my system is too old.

Thanks.