Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

antgru83
Journeyman III

Finding a GPU....

Hi all it's my first time posting here. 

Am in need of some assistance. I've recently put together a retro gaming pc for playing classic games from early 2000 to 2010, catching up on what I mist basically. Okay so specs of the pc is as current state so far:

Windows XP Home Edition SP3 32bit

Crucial 2GB DRR2 800Mhz 

Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P REV 1.0 (supports up to 8GB RAM but 2GB is all I need)

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5400+ 2.8ghz dual core

500GB HDD

Novatech 80+ 500W PSU (20A on 12v)

I've been searching for days trying to find a GPU that is under 20 amps and works well with the CPU I have. If anyone can help be much appreciated. Thanks.

0 Likes
3 Replies
fsadough

I wouldn't be worry about CPU. Your motherboard supports PCIE x16 and also Windows 7. I suggest you upgrade to Windows 7 because you will have a hard time to find a Win XP compatible GPU.  You also have an integrated Nvidia GPU which you need to disable in system BIOS.

0 Likes
antgru83
Journeyman III

Hi thanks for the reply.

My Power supply's specification:

Novatech 80+ 500W

Voltage: 230v      +3.3   +5     +12v1  +12v2  -12v  +5Vsb

24A    20A   20A      20A     0.3A  2.5A

Frequency: 50hz

Current: 4A

Combined          120w   400w   3.6w   12.5w

Looking for a GPU that this can handle. I have games from around 2005 ish that I never got the chance to play fully but now I can so am looking to play these at high settings possible at a steady playable frame rate and safely when under load. Also I don't have the cash for Windows 7 at the moment so am stuck with Windows XP for now.

I didn't know where to ask this question so am hopping it okay here. My knowledge in GPU's is lacking which is why am asking for help.

I got another question am sorry if this sounds dumb, is a one single +12v rail 20a 200w on my power supply? I just thought on, if not am stupid.

0 Likes

Try eBay you might be able to find GPUs supporting Win XP, like Radeon HD 7990.

How to pick the best PC power supply | PCWorld 

0 Likes