cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Discussions

andymc499
Journeyman III

ProRender not working in Maya 2016. Here is the error message:

'// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2016/scripts/others/supportRenderers.mel line 150: Renderer "FireRender" is not valid'

This happens when I try to open Render Settings. ProRender also isn't even available as a renderer either. However, the Material Browser will open. 

I've installed all service packs for Maya up to SP6. Can someone please help with this error? I would love to use the plugin. 

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

-Andy

0 Likes
14 Replies
david_s
Miniboss

Hi Andy,

I have a few questions that will help me investigate the issue you are experiencing.

1. What is the OS you are running?
2. What is your hardware - CPU and GPU?
3. Was Maya running in the background when you installed the plugin?
Sometimes it gets stuck in the Task Manager.
4. What build version of ProRender are you using?
5. Does this happen if all other plugins are disabled in Maya?
6. Do you have additional plugins other than coming with Maya?

0 Likes

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry I didn't give these specs in the beginning. 

1. Win 10

2. Not sure what you mean by "CPU 'and' GPU" honestly, but here are the specs for both:
        - NVidia Quadro M2000 4gb

- Intel Xeon E5-1650 v4

3. Hmm, I'm not 100% on this one, but I've uninstalled/reinstalled a couple times and know that one time Maya was not open. 

4. 2.5. I actually tried looking for earlier builds to try, but couldn't find them. 

5. Yes. Radeon ProRender doesn't even show up as an option in Render Settings.

6. Yes:

SLiB Match - This is just for matching a camera to a background image

3Delight - Another renderer I was trying. It doesn't work either.

0 Likes

Hi Andy,

I know it might be a silly question, But can you make sure the plugin is enabled in plugin manager?

0 Likes

Lol, yep it's enabled. 

0 Likes
andymc499
Journeyman III

Can someone please help with this issue??

0 Likes

Hi Andy,

I was not able to reproduce this issue on my side. Could you please try out this build https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-2090 ?
Unfortunately, with Maya 2019 out, we will soon discontinue support of Maya 2016.

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply David, but no I'm still getting the original error message when I click the render settings icon. 

0 Likes
andymc499
Journeyman III

Ok, so I have an idea. I think I may have actually installed my service packs out of order. Would this be an issue at all with the plugin not working? Should I go back after uninstalling ProRender, and start with the very first SP and install in order? (Then reinstall ProRender)?

0 Likes
andymc499
Journeyman III

My idea failed. . I'm still getting the same original error message. Can anyone else help out, or do I chalk this up as a loss?

0 Likes
david_s
Miniboss

Hi Andy, 

Currently we no longer support Maya 2016. Does it happen on newer versions ?

0 Likes
andymc499
Journeyman III

I'm happy to say that Prorender does in fact load and work well in Maya 2017. However, I need some practice with it for sure. Namely, volumes seem to be quite slow and confusing, but I may have to start another thread for that. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
david_s
Miniboss

Hi Andy,

Are you talking about Maya volumes or ProRender Volume material?

0 Likes

PR volume material. I would like to use it for a fog/dust effect coming in from my windows, and I can't seem to get it to work. I may have to just do a separate render layer with mental ray. 

0 Likes

Hi Andy,

There are a few ways you could acheive this effect. You could create a cloud object or use Bifrost to make and then apply an RPR volume material to these objects. However, my favorite way is to use Maya Volumes fluids 3d container. We are currently working on a lot of fixes for Maya fluids and I hope soon we will have full support for them.

0 Likes